• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Display Units at Kee's in NYC

ChristopherMichael

So no takers? There has to be someone out there that's close to her shop.

Kee's is open Tuesday through Friday, 9am to 7pm; Saturday and Sunday 11am to 7pm. Closed Mondays. For inquiries, please call 212-334-3284.

She's super cool man. Just call her up and ask.

So no takers? There has to be someone out there that's close to her shop.

Kee's is open Tuesday through Friday, 9am to 7pm; Saturday and Sunday 11am to 7pm. Closed Mondays. For inquiries, please call 212-334-3284.

She's super cool man. Just call her up and ask.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would feel a little strange calling someone up and asking about some piece of equipment they have in their store.

If no one knows what she uses, then I guess I have to wait until the chocolate show and go there myself.

I'll nudge you a bit more. I have called people asking about fixtures, products, software...and always was very clear what market I was in (meaning not competition). 9 out of 10 give me the info I want. 1 out of 10 says no. If they say no, then you wait. If they say yes, you move forward. Nudge.

I'll nudge you a bit more.  I have called people asking about fixtures, products, software...and always was very clear what market I was in (meaning not competition).  9 out of 10 give me the info I want.  1 out of 10 says no.  If they say no, then you wait.  If they say yes, you move forward.  Nudge.

I agree with the above. I am still looking for an enrober solution and have called people all over the US about what they thought of the machine they had. Everyone was cool, from mom-and-pop shops to Pastry Art and Design '10 best chef'....after they know you aren't in their market, which is only fair.

If you're cool about it and not sketchy is some way, I mean....why not tell you....not like you're asking her how she makes her 'creme brulee' bonbon or something....

• 2 months later...

Three eG'ers in Kee's, one remembered this thread. The brand name is Kinco. I have a picture but it's very poor.

I think I can figure out how she makes her creme brulee bonbon (and actually I think I'll add some bruleed sugar to my version).

Thanks Kerry. I actually called about a month ago *finaaly worked up the guts) and she told me the brand. Let us know how you think she does her creme brulee.

I think she simply pipes nice custard into a shell.

Three eG'ers in Kee's, one remembered this thread.  The brand name is Kinco.  I have a picture but it's very poor.

I think I can figure out how she makes her creme brulee bonbon (and actually I think I'll add some bruleed sugar to my version).

I love the idea of a creme brulee bon-bon

Wouldn't the water content in the creme disolve the bruleed sugar? You have to make the sugar top on a standard creme brulee within half an hour of serving so it doesn't disolve.

Of course you could always enrobe it in a thin coating of chocolate first and use that to close off the bottom of the cavity before bottoming...

I just wonder about the shelf life of such a bon-bon. Would it need to remain refrigerated? Would it last long enough to ship to someone or is this a make it and consume it in a day thing?

Three eG'ers in Kee's, one remembered this thread.  The brand name is Kinco.  I have a picture but it's very poor.

I love the idea of a creme brulee bon-bon

Wouldn't the water content in the creme disolve the bruleed sugar? You have to make the sugar top on a standard creme brulee within half an hour of serving so it doesn't disolve.

Of course you could always enrobe it in a thin coating of chocolate first and use that to close off the bottom of the cavity before bottoming...

I just wonder about the shelf life of such a bon-bon. Would it need to remain refrigerated? Would it last long enough to ship to someone or is this a make it and consume it in a day thing?

I'm thinking it's a same day thing anyway. Not sure I'd care if the sugar was crunchy, I like the caramel flavour it adds. I guess you could you change the name to creme caramel.

I'm thinking it's a same day thing anyway.  Not sure I'd care if the sugar was crunchy, I like the caramel flavour it adds.  I guess you could you change the name to creme caramel.

I just found an article where the author reports that Kee stipulates it not sit any longer than 48 hours and much less than that for best freshness. That would pretty much make it a specialty item that has to be planned for.

Y'all have made me curious, now... are they one of the ones showing on the company's webpage?

The one Kee uses in not on there website or at least it doesn't look like any on their website. She may have an older unit, because she opened years ago and I'm sure that they have changes the look, actually I'm pretty sure they have.