• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LV suggestions for October

I loved DB at the Wynn and would try it again. The service and the food were wonderful and for Las Vegas I did not think it was all the expensive. I like FIX. I did not consider it to be the most fabulous but a good meal before a show. Lots of see and be seen but I ignore that. Skip Mesa Grill. So-so. I did not really love Olives. The service was dreadful and the food was no better than fine. It is difficult to find what one of the posters called the B+ restaurant. You are not into steak but my group who is loves Delmonico's. They have other things as well. The service is wonderful and the food is actually pretty good. I loved Rosemary's and might drive out there when I am next in LV.

I've found that any of Michael Mina's restaurants in Vegas have stellar service. You can tell it's something that's important to him. I'm looking forward to trying Stripsteak, after hearing the good reviews and with the history of great service from Mina's restaurants.

• 1 month later...

Ok, you master Foodie's. I'll be in Vegas Halloween week. My out of town friends are big eaters so definitely will hit buffets at Bellagio, Wynn, Planet Hollywood, TI and have breakfast at Bouchon. DB Brasserie is also on my list for the $48 - 3 course prixe fix menu (I could taste that DB burger melting in my mouth right now!) We are staying at the MGM Grand (I can't believe they charge $100 a week to use their gym facilities, I would need to burn all of these calories!).

But which of the following should we burn a hole in our pocket? We are considering to par take in 2 different Tasting Menu dinners.

Alex

http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/media/pdf/AlexMenu_Spring07.pdf

Wing Lei -

http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/media/pdf/Wing_Lei.pdf

Le Atelier de Robuchon -

http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/atelier-joe...urant-menu.aspx

David Burke

http://www.venetian.com/venetianeng/Assets...s/BurkeMenu.pdf

Joel Robuchon at the Mansion

http://www.mgmgrand.com/dining/joel-robuch...urant-menu.aspx

Guy Savoy at Ceasar's

http://www.harrahs.com/images/non_image_as..._fallmenu07.pdf

Picasso - at $105 per person, isn't this a steal?

http://www.bellagio.com/pages/din_menu_picasso.asp

Michael Mina

http://www.bellagio.com/pages/din_menu_mina.asp

Aureole -

http://www.mandalaybay.com/images/dining/aureole_menu.pdf

Fleur de Lys -

http://www.mandalaybay.com/images/dining/fleur_menu.pdf

Mix -

http://www.mandalaybay.com/images/dining/mix_menu.pdf

Is it worth eating at JGV's Prime?

http://www.bellagio.com/pages/din_menu_prime.asp

We are looking for good value, food and experience. I've read most of the threads on egullet. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Greystreet (log)

Okay, Greystreet, you asked for it ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Ok, you master Foodie's.  I'll be in Vegas Halloween week.  My out of town friends are big eaters so definitely will hit buffets at Bellagio, Wynn, Planet Hollywood, TI and have breakfast at Bouchon.  DB Brasserie is also on my list for the $48 - 3 course prixe fix menu (I could taste that DB burger melting in my mouth right now!)  We are staying at the MGM Grand (I can't believe they charge $100 a week to use their gym facilities, I would need to burn all of these calories!).

But which of the following should we burn a hole in our pocket?  We are considering to par take in 2 different Tasting Menu dinners.

Since you're staying at the MGM, definitely pick between L'Atelier & Joel Robuchon at the Mansion (now called Joel Robuchon). Joel Robuchon is the more formal restaurant while L'Atelier is more casual. L'Atelier has the better overall value.

Alex, Guy Savoy, Picasso, Mix, and Prime are all great. Mind you, I haven't eaten at Picasso ... yet. I'll be in Las Vegas in Nov., two weeks after you.

We are looking for good value, food and experience.  I've read most of the threads on egullet.  Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

What kind of dining experience are you looking for? Is this guys' night out? girls' night out? Mixed group? "Ready for Halloween" people? "Nice & quiet place thank you" group? Please let us know.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Does Julian Serrano personally cook at Picasso? I used to live in SF and at that time Masas was the city's best restaurant along with the Ritz Carlton Dining Room and Fleur de Lys. But I regret that I never had a chance to eat at Masas or Fleur de Lys. :sad:

What kind of dining experience are you looking for? Is this guys' night out? girls' night out? Mixed group? "Ready for Halloween" people? "Nice & quiet place thank you" group? Please let us know.

Definitely non party mixed group.

Edited by Greystreet (log)

Greystreet-you're off to a great start with the list of restaurants you've composed.

A side note-avoid Bouchon, even for breakfast. You'll find a lot of us who are Las Vegas dining regulars have seen Bouchon slip in the past few years. Personally, I think the breakfast buffet at both Wynn and Bellagio is better than the ala Carte breakfast at Bouchon.

I always tell people looking for advice on Las Vegas restaurants to start by answering the question of how much you are willing to spend. Based on the list you've compiled and the fact you've read a lot of the posts on eGullet, my guess is that you don't mind spending a lot for dining?

Be prepared for spending around $35 and up for entrees at the restaurants you've listed. Appetizers will be in the $15-$25 range, more for caviar and foie gras. Desserts will be in the $10-15 range.

On the top end, the Crispy Sea Bass with Delicate Spices that is often found on the menu at Guy Savoy was priced at $70 in May. That's just the entree. Their tasting menu was $350 with wines. That's the high end of the spectrum. The $48 3-course menu at Boulud that you mentioned is a steal of a deal. If you saw a tasting menu at Picasso priced at $105, yes that's also a great deal. Wine pairings would probably add another $100 or so. I have heard Chef Julian Serrano lives in Las Vegas and is in the kitchen nightly. I'll be able to affirm that when I dine there in November with my fellow Las Vegas foodie-rjwong.

The second set of questions I ask people are exactly the questions that rj posed to you:

"What kind of dining experience are you looking for? Is this guys' night out? girls' night out? Mixed group? "Ready for Halloween" people? "Nice & quiet place thank you" group? Please let us know."

One of the worst experiences that can happen is when someone who is serious about spending a lot of money for a great dining experience in Las Vegas drags along a group of friends who don't share their passion about food. I use the comparison of people who maybe would feel more comfortable at a hip, loud, trendy place like Fix at Bellagio as opposed to a more sedate, quiet, serious food restaurant like Picasso downstairs at Bellagio. Fix has decent food-it's just not at the level of Picasso.

But if you're serious about food and dining, any of the places you list should be more than worth the expense. The one exception would be David Burke. I'd avoid it. I haven't been there so I'm not qualified to deny you the experience-but based on the comments from my friend-John Curtas, local restaurant critic and host of shows about local dining on radio and tv-I'd avoid Burke's new place at The Venetian. John excoriated the place on a review he did for John Mariani. The chef is now gone, replaced with a new guy, so John recommends giving the new kitchen staff a few months to settle in before taking on another dinner at Burke.

It's really wonderful to be faced with choosing only two out of 12 places that you listed. It's sort of like picking two of twelve flavors of cotton candy. This would be my two choices:

Alex: Really exceptional food. I'd call it American cuisine using French techniques. A beautiful setting and just as the brochures say, you do in fact descend a staircase out of "Hello Dolly" to enter the dining room. I was there in May at a private winemaker's lunch and Chef Alex Stratta was in the kitchen. Chef Stratta and the staff make you feel comfortable and relaxed-it didn't seem pretentious or stuffy at all. I'm looking forward to their Tasting Menu when I go in November.

Picasso: I haven't been yet-one month and counting before I get there. If you really can get the tasting menu for $105, that's a very good deal. I read their menu often and just based on the dishes the chef presents and the comments I read, I think your party would have a wonderful dinner.

Back to the original topic:

I've been combing this section of EG this week looking for suggestions on where to eat. We are coming in late October and we already have the perfect guide lined up--our friend nightscotsman.  :smile: We're kind of on a tight budget so our one pricier meal will probably be at L'Atelier ...

Lorna & Henry, are you getting ready for your trip to Las Vegas? Have you decided where you're going to eat??

As for me, I'll be in Las Vegas in mid-Nov. Unfortunately, Payard is scheduled to open one week after I leave, on Nov. 20 ... :sad:

Please enjoy your time in Las Vegas, with a full report, of course. And photos ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I suggest getting a players club card at Paris. It gets you a coupon to the breakfast buffet that changes a good value into a great one. That is unless you choose to show up there at 10 am when the long wait will take some of that value back.

If you have a car, the lunch or 'small plates' at Rosemarys are a reasonably good value. Lotus of Siam is a personal fave and a great value. Also there is Lindo Michoacan (2655 Desert Inn rd) that I think offers great Mexican at a good price. Having a car really opens up Las Vegas riches and I think is well worth the expense. If, however you have never been before, there is enough to do in and around the strip without one. On subsequent visits, a car becomes a big plus.

Have a great time!

HC

Back to the original topic:
I've been combing this section of EG this week looking for suggestions on where to eat. We are coming in late October and we already have the perfect guide lined up--our friend nightscotsman.  :smile: We're kind of on a tight budget so our one pricier meal will probably be at L'Atelier ...

Lorna & Henry, are you getting ready for your trip to Las Vegas? Have you decided where you're going to eat??

As for me, I'll be in Las Vegas in mid-Nov. Unfortunately, Payard is scheduled to open one week after I leave, on Nov. 20 ... :sad:

Please enjoy your time in Las Vegas, with a full report, of course. And photos ...

We just got back very late last night. To sum up:

Jean Phillipe > Lenotre (and the other place in Paris, called La Boulangerie). I didn't even feel tempted to buy anything at Lenotre. The pastries were very sloppy looking (dripping glazes, croissants didn't look particularly flaky) and they were much too large and very dated in presentation.

3 course at Boulud was a pretty good deal. Henry's DB burger was nothing special, but the fish with saffron, grapes and cauliflower was very nice. Appetizers were fine, desserts lacking.

Bellagio breakfast/lunch buffet (they turned the food when we were eating, so we got to try both) was pretty decent buffet food, especially since it was only $15/pp for breakfast.

L'Atelier was a bit disappointing. 4 of the courses were very good/excellent. The rest was forgettable.

Bouchon--service was laughable, the quiche was fantastic, and everything else was OK/good.

Mesa Grill--only got 2 apps, but they were fine. Better than I expected. I guess I had low expectations.

Guy Savoy bar--the food was very good. I wish we put together a 'small bite' tasting menu here ourselves instead of eating at L'Atelier.