• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey in Paris and France; enduring info from the

BradenP

I will start things off with the Rhododendron Honey from Les Abeilles.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

Dammit, I have to find some interesting honey! :biggrin:

Since everybody seems to be going to Les Abeilles I'll try another place.

Do we restrict ourselves to French honeys? I think we have to circumscript our subject once more or we won't have any clear judging lines. So do we say "miels français", or at least commonly sold in France ? And do we say "pure origins" and not blends "from more than one country" (which does not includes the various-flowers honey, which are blended by the bees themselves) ?

I'm thinking of bringing some lime blossom honey, and perhaps some heather honey, from I-don't-know-where-yet.

I cannot comebut if I could I'd bring some delicious honey from the bees in the Luxembourg Gardens.

This is very good honey indeed. It benefits not only from the flower bounty of the Luxembourg garden, but also from a bit of sugar from the neighboring pâtisseries. :raz:

If you are not there, I can try and bring some. But I thought it was only available in September during a short period?

Apparently there are also bee hives a top both the Opera Bastille and Garnier and their honey can be purchased at Fauchon. (I just Googled it to be sure and sure enough it's true)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Apparently there are also bee hives a top both the Opera Bastille and Garnier and their honey can be purchased at Fauchon.  (I just Googled it to be sure and sure enough it's true)

This is true not an urban legend; there was an article in Le Figaro about the beekeeper within the last year (I think related to the refurbishing/regilding of the Garnier's uptop stuff).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Apparently there are also bee hives a top both the Opera Bastille and Garnier and their honey can be purchased at Fauchon.   (I just Googled it to be sure and sure enough it's true)

This is true not an urban legend; there was an article in Le Figaro about the beekeeper within the last year (I think related to the refurbishing/regilding of the Garnier's uptop stuff).

And there's more honey being made in Paris...

Strangely enough the Eiffel Park Hotel has three hives on their roof and sells the honey in their hotel

Details here

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Apparently there are also bee hives a top both the Opera Bastille and Garnier and their honey can be purchased at Fauchon.  (I just Googled it to be sure and sure enough it's true)

Yuck... Does it come with soot in it? (I'm just remembering how Christmas decorations on the Champs-Elysees a couple of years go had to be taken down only a few days after being put up, because they had grown thick, grey stalactites.)

In any case, it sounds about as tempting as the Montmartre wine! Alas!

Yeah, don't bring too much of that Paris honey folks...

The Luxembourg, OK, but L'Opéra Bastille? And Garnier? I mean, there's a Monceau Fleurs on boulevard Henri-IV, but really...

At least the bees from the Luxembourg do bring in a few flavors and extra saccharose from nearby Sadaharu Aoki and Mulot.

And purchasing Opéra honey from Fauchon when you could have perfectly good honey from the country? I just hope they charge a lot for it.

Can anyone provide us the usual flight range of honey bees? I.E., how far do they wander from their hives? My husband and I have often pondered this as we encounter "orange blosson" honey, "sage" honey", "wild flower honey", even "cherry orchard" and "almond orchard" honey and as in Paris, honey collected by several neighborhood beekeepers who label their honeys "Pacific Heights", "Marina" and "Noe Valley", specific areas in San Francisco. Can one really know so specifically where the bee found his necter? :blink:

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...
I cannot come but if I could I'd bring some delicious honey from the bees in the Luxembourg Gardens.

This is very good honey indeed.....But I thought it was only available in September during a short period?

Spot on Pti. Today's freebie MatinPlus had an photo caption showing the students in the almost year-long course collecting the honey Saturday, so it should go/be on sale soon.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris