• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: Honey Tasting

BradenP

Here are our notes from the honey tasting we did on the 2nd of August.

Les Ruchers de Veronne (Miel de Tilleul): Classic honey (bear) taste w/ hints of citrus, tan and cloudy.

Les Ruchers de Veronne (lavende): slight bitter finish from the lavender, similar taste and color as above.

Miels Villeneuve (Thym): A sweet honey with mild hints of thym, golden slightly cloudy color.

Miel de Morovan (Pissenlit): Pale even color, mild vegetal finish from the dandelion.

Dabur (Himalayan): Darkest color by far, pine cone and eucalyptus taste.

Les Ruchers du Roy (lavende de Provence): Similar in taste to the other lavender w/ a cleaner amber color.

Les Ruchers du Roy (miel des Pyrénées): Slightly dark w/ hints of vegetable, but less pronounced than the dandelion.

Les Ruchers du Roy (miel de luzerne): Clean amber color w/ mild hints of herb and vegetable.

Yves Tercé (Corsican from clementine blossoms): Super light color similar to the comb, the taste and texture mimicked the comb as well.

Calenzanu (Miel de la Figarella): Another mild flavor amber honey w/ citrus rind hints.

For me the most exciting of the honeys was the Himalayan from Dabur. It was full of pine cone flavor and stood far above the rest in regards to the most pronounced flavor.

The Corsican from Yves Terce was also fun as the texture, look and taste were of honey comb.

See you all for mustard and pretzels on the 6th of September.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

Thanks Braden both for the report and for organizing these tastings. You are clearly making the France Forum the leader in taste tests (Gault/Millau eat your heart out!)

For everyone's information, the essential info from the Planning topic has been preserved here. The rest, per policy, has been deleted.

On to mustard and pretzels! (I assume we'll be clued in on your pretzel formula - esp how a totally American, and some might argue, Lower East Side, product, can be reproduced in Paris.)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris