• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: suzilightning

Shifting gears and hoping for an answer to this as well:  So there is a town as well as a state forest named Wharton in New Jersey, I see.  I've never found out whether this Wharton (these Whartons) are related to Joseph, the Philadelphia manufacturer who founded the nation's first collegiate business school in 1881.  You're a librarian -- aren't you supposed to know things like this?  :biggrin:

Wharton in Morris County, New Jersey was originally called Port Oram. It was named after Robert Oram the manager for the New Jersey Iron Company who built the company store and worker's housing. It was renamed Wharton, after Joseph Wharton, who located his blast furnace complex in the town.

Do you know if your Joseph might have been into iron manufacturing?

That's the very same Joseph Wharton whose name graces the University of Pennsylvania's business school. They no longer use it as widely as they once did, but for many years, an anvil was the school's unofficial symbol. He made his money in mining, manufacturing, metallurgy and railroads. (He was also one of the founders of Bethlehem Steel Corporation.) His iron furnace may have been in New Jersey, but his home was Philadelphia.

And so it goes -- yet another tap placed into the keg that is New Jersey. (The allusion is to Benjamin Franklin's description of the state as "a keg tapped at both ends" -- New York on the one and Philadelphia on the other.)

This has been a most enjoyable blog. Thanks for offering us a reference guide to your life and eating habits!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Just wanna add my thanks for your wonderful blog. Librarians rank close to my heart, a self-confessed voracious bookworm.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos