• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cakes in a deck oven

shaloop

The first kitchen I rented had these - they were ancient (so was the building!)! I used to turn a sheet pan upside down on the floor of the oven then put the cake pans on that. When I put the cake pans directly on the floor of the deck ovens, they burned quickly and were dry.

Hmm. Maybe it depends on the oven? We had a deck oven for about 15 years and baked most things right on the floor (in or on a pan) with no problems. I'd say you won't know until you try it yourself with the oven you have. Please let us know.

Hmm. Maybe it depends on the oven?  We had a deck oven for about 15 years and baked most things right on the floor (in or on a pan) with no problems.  I'd say you won't know until you try it yourself with the oven you have. Please let us know.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm not sure if I'll be using this oven or not. It's factoring into my decision of whether or not to move into a new location. I have to move, just deciding if I want to move here or not. This is what kind of oven it has, as the place used to make pizza and other breads. Have to make decision before October 1st. Will let you know what happens.