• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiered cake question

CanadianBakin'

Do you forsee any problems with putting a 6" glazed cake on top of a 10" baked and glazed cheesecake? I will put supports in the cheesecake. I haven't done this before and it's for a family wedding this Sunday. She just wanted a cheesecake that would feed the head table as I have made individual cheesecakes for all the guests. After talking to my husband though, we thought that at least having 2 tiers would make it a bit more special. I thought that doing the 2nd tier in regular batter would be lighter and possibly more successful. I don't have time to try this out ahead and I will be assembling it on site.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

This could be a bit scary....but I think do-able. You might, however, need to

use a support system with a slight rise in between he tiers, so the top cake doesn't sit

smack down on the cheesecake, but gives the illusion. Then decorate so the space

between the tiers is disguised.

Go for it!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I did exactly what OTC did for a tiered cheesecake wedding on Aug 5. I used a plastic support plate, and cut the "hidden pillars" (I had to buy this at the craft store because I don't typically use this but it was easy to find) to size and it worked out great. Assemble onsite but you can put the plate/pillar into the cheesecake before you leave. Then with some double sided tape, you can attach the small cake to the plastic plate....

unless you're set on having space between the two tiers, plastic drinking straws cut the same height as your bottom layer (in this case cheesecake) provide suprisingly strong support between layers, especially if you put the second tier on a cardboard round to distribute it's weight and prevent the straws from poking into the top cake.

Seriously, I don't think you're going to have a problem. A well chilled cheesecake is quite firm and a cake will easily support a very small 6" cake, even another cheesecake, even without the drinking straws.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

unless you're set on having space between the two tiers, plastic drinking straws cut the same height as your bottom layer (in this case cheesecake) provide suprisingly strong support between layers, especially if you put the second tier on a cardboard round to distribute it's weight and prevent the straws from poking into the top cake.

Seriously, I don't think you're going to have a problem. A well chilled cheesecake is quite firm and a cake will easily support a very small 6" cake, even another cheesecake, even without the drinking straws.

Thanks Stephanie! I was planning to use bubble tea straws so it's good to know that it will work.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a picture of the finished cake. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. I am a baker, not a decorator, so it's very simple and my sister-in-law helped with the flower on top. I used just 3 bubble tea straws to sit under the 6"cake which was on a cake board. I had no problems with stability even after sitting at room temp for quite some time. Thanks for all your ideas. gallery_21184_2702_60453.jpg

One other thing I thought I should mention. The cheesecake didn't have the height I wanted for the look so I baked off one layer of chocolate cake and cut it to the right height. I just set it on top of the cheesecake, smoothed it out with buttercream and then glazed after chilling. It worked perfect.

I agree - its a very beautiful and classy cake. The problem with this special occassion cakes is that we rarely get to see the inside (let me go psycho for second - HACK IT! WHACK IT! CUT IT UP! I WANT GUTS! - okay, I'm finished). I hope it was as tasty as pretty. Good job. :biggrin: