• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MetroDetroit Food Critics

Naftal

I was reading a very interesting thread in the Pennsylvania Forum, that thread was devoted to a local food critic. And it got me to wondering(always a dangerous thing :shock: ): who do you feel is MetroDetroit's best food critic, and why? To get things started,my personal fave is Danny Raskin. I like the way he writes,the length and breath of his knowledge and most importantly, I like the fact that he will review any place, even if it may not be "up-scale". But, what do you think???

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I was reading a very interesting thread in the Pennsylvania Forum, that thread was devoted to a local food critic. And it got me to wondering(always a dangerous thing :shock: ): who do you feel is MetroDetroit's best food critic, and why? To get things started,my personal fave is Danny Raskin.  I like the way he writes,the length and breath of his knowledge and most importantly, I like the fact that he will review any place, even if it may not be "up-scale". But, what do you think???

He writes for the Jewish News, doesn't he? Does he write "real" reviews or are his pieces more reportage than review? Does he focus on the NW suburbs or does he venture downtown, to the Grosse Pointes, etc?

I used to write restaurant reviews and other articles for Metro Times, but that was 25 or so years ago. Sigh.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Yes! Now I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I know there are many , many good food critics in MetroDetroit.I am interested in hearing about other people's favorites.I realize that most of his reviews are on places in the NW 'burbs and I admit that that is a problem. But I really like the sense of history he brings to his articles. Some people might find fault with the fact that he does not spend a lot of time analysing and deconstructing his meals. I have no problem with that!!!! He knows alot about this area's long and glorious food traditions and that is why I like him.Please, if you have a local critic that you prefer tell us/me about him/her.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

News Flash :unsure: Recently, Danny Raskin wrote a review of Seldom Blues. Now...It is important to notice that, not only is this establishment not in the NW 'burbs, it is actually in a hotel located in Detroit. Not only that but,for those who may not know it,it's actually on the riverfront :cool::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: . Last and most important, this review is a perfect example of why he is my fave foodie :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Edited by Naftal (log)

I have not yet found out how get around the fact that only registered users of jnonline can access this article. I cannot post it here. When I find a way around this problem I will post it!

Edited by Naftal (log)

| contact us | about us | jewish links | newsletter | subscribe | advertise

home : arts & entertainment Monday, August 27, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/9/2007 10:23:00 AM Email this article • Print this article

ARTS: No Right To Sing The Blues

In only three years, Seldom Blues restaurant hits a high note of national acclaim.

Danny Raskin

Senior Columnist

Eating one's words never has too good a taste ... Three years ago, those who said that downtown Detroit had problems to solve were correct ... That a restaurant such as this would have a tough rime making it ... And if it did, the restaurant's life would be a short one.

These people obviously didn't reckon with the persistent determination and staying power of Frank Taylor, CEO and president of Seldom Blues Jazz Restaurant and Supper Club in the GM Renaissance Center ... With his partners, Robert Porcher, Jerry Nottage and Alexander Zonjic, he has not only built Seldom Blues into an excellent dining and rhythms music restaurant, but also a superior Metro Detroit representative on the national scene.

Seldom Blues might be the only premier jazz restaurant and supper club in the country like it ... New York, Chicago and Los Angeles may have similar operations, but none that encompasses four Seldom Blues attributes ... Great food, great service, great music and an outstanding scenic view ... one that elegantly overlooks Detroit and Windsor skylines against shimmering waters of the Detroit River.

Because of the restaurant's recognition by the national media, many people visiting Metro Detroit rarely leave without looking up Seldom Blues ... And you never know who could be at the next table, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Sidney Portier, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc. ... Stevie Wonder as a guest entertaining at the piano.

Since opening in June 2004, Seldom Blues' uncanny consistency has resulted in nearly 1 million people passing through its doors ... Constant goodness of three-year best sellers like Frank's Lobster Pontchartrain duet of tails baked and finished with a shrimp and jumbo crab; Porcher's Bone-On Rib-Eye Steak; AZ's Salmon, Blue-B-Q Sea Bass (more than 120,000 pounds served), double-cut lamb rack, choice steaks (more than 300,000 pounds,) etc. ... Hardly numbers of a restaurant not making it! ... Best sellers, too, like lobster and jumbo crab cakes, available as appetizer or entree, short ribs, etc.

Also, it is estimated that more than half of those dining at Seldom Blues order its signature Rhythm & Blues Chocolate Cake and Bread Pudding.

This is not the whole article, But you get the idea.....

Edited by Naftal (log)