• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better than butter sculptures?

phaelon56

You know you're living in a small town when the big media event in late August every year is the unveiling of this year's NY State Fair Butter Sculpture.

But next Tuesday is Dairy Day and sometimes butter just ain't enough.

Enter Sarah The Cheese Lady - who will carve a 50 pound block of cheddar into.... something. Not sure what and I won't know until the pictures show up on the Web 'cause I'm headed there either tonight or tomorrow and she won't be finished with her carving until Monday. But the chainsaw log carver makes a new sculpture or two every day - I'll just have to stop by there. Pictures to follow on a separate New York Forum thread.

You know you're living in a small town when the big media event in late August every year is the unveiling of this year's NY State Fair Butter Sculpture.

But next Tuesday is Dairy Day and sometimes butter just ain't enough.

Enter Sarah The Cheese Lady - who will carve a  50 pound block of cheddar into....  something.  Not sure what and I won't know until the pictures show up on the Web 'cause I'm headed there either tonight or tomorrow and she won't be finished with her carving until Monday.  But the chainsaw log carver makes a new sculpture or two every day - I'll just have to stop by there.  Pictures to follow on a separate New York Forum thread.

Owen,

Thanks for the link to Sarah's web site. I think she has a harder job than the butter sculpturers. Butter can be softened and molded so you can reshape any mistakes. But cheese is a different story.

And there's just something so poetic about:

Sarah has also been priveleged to sculpt a likeness of NFL Green Bay Packers Quarterback Brett Favre in cheese.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Cheese sculptures of TV Personalities I'd like to see:

Alton Brown - sculpted in Cheddar :blink:

Mario - in Mozzeralla (of course!) :cool:

Rachael Ray - in Velveeta :laugh:

Martha Stewart - in Stilton :hmmm:

Emeril - in Fetta :huh:

Bourdain - in Bleu (to match his jeans) :rolleyes:

SB (and "our own" Chris Cognac in Meunster :wink: )

The Ohio State Fair used to have a huge butter sculpture of a guy golfing in a meadow, with a butter cow next to him. I think it was Jack Niklaus? We used to stare at it for hours.

And SB, too funny! I'll add to your list:

Sandra Lee - Philadelphia Lite Cream Cheese

Paula Deen - Pimento Cheese

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office