• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Converting a gelatin dessert to Halal/Kosher...

Ylee

Need help urgently as I have a function in a little over a week's time that I already had a dessert approved for. Unfortunately, I was only informed today that the dish has to be halal, which means I can't use my original recipe - It's for an ice-cream parfait, which has some gelatine in it. I've been told by the manufacturer that the gelatine I normally use (Gelita gold-strength) is not halal, so I'm not sure what to do. Apparently you can get kosher gelatine from the supermarket, so I'm going to try to find that, but I haven't used anything like it before and don't know if it's of the same strength. Am wondering if anyone uses such gelatine and can help..?

Need help urgently as I have a function in a little over a week's time that I already had a dessert approved for. Unfortunately, I was only informed today that the dish has to be halal, which means I can't use my original recipe - It's for an ice-cream parfait, which has some gelatine in it. I've been told by the manufacturer that the gelatine I normally use (Gelita gold-strength) is not halal, so I'm not sure what to do. Apparently you can get kosher gelatine from the supermarket, so I'm going to try to find that, but I haven't used anything like it before and don't know if it's of the same strength. Am wondering if anyone uses such gelatine and can help..?

I have never used kosher gelatine, but I have used agar agar in place of gelatine in desserts made for my Muslim students. Agar agar is a seaweed. You can buy it in Asian stores, in "leaves" or in powder form.

Hope that helps.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have never used kosher gelatine, but I have used agar agar in place of gelatine in desserts made for my Muslim students. Agar agar is a seaweed. You can buy it in Asian stores, in "leaves" or in powder form.

Hope that helps.

Kosher gelatine can come from either agar agar, or animal or fish bones so you have to be careful of you are buying. There is some useful information here.

Dejah, does the agar work in the same way as gelatine? ie. would you use it in a frozen dessert? Also, is there a standard conversion when switching to agar?