• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying frozen crawfish tails

Kent Wang

From the Gumbo, Jambalaya, Etouffee, Creole thread, fifi wrote:

On crawfish fat . . .

I think one reason why they do that is so that they will keep longer, even frozen. Many years ago, when I worked for FDA, we used to analyze crawfish tails from the various packers when they were in season. Since we didn't use all of the samples some . . . ahem . . . found their way to our freezers. (I think the statute of limitations has run out. biggrin.gif ) Back then, the fat was kinda in there with the tails. After not very long in the freezer, and I mean a really cold well below zero freezer, the crawfish took on this awful taste. To me it almost tasted like formaldehyde. It was really inedible. Then they started packing the fat separately. This was in the very infancy of the retail prepared crawfish trade. I believe one of the local universties figured out the fat problem.

I bought a pack of frozen crawfish that was labeled as "with fat", and the fat was not packed separately. It was produced in China and the packing date was 14 months ago. When I opened it up it had a terrible formaldehyde smell and I could not bear to eat it. I went back to the retailer, a local outfit, but they claim that frozen crawfish over a year old was perfectly normal and that they have had not any complaints. They even put the same product in the soups that they sell all day -- and which I'm quite fond of. I eventually coaxed a refund from them, but I have a few questions:

Is frozen crawfish over a year old suspect?

Did I just happen to get a bad pack?

Should crawfish be packed with fat separately, as fifi writes above? Is there an article somewhere that can back this up?

Any other tips for buying frozen crawfish tails?

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

Kent, having finaly tried crawfish in Louisianna, I discovered that I don't Hate it! In fact I crave it all the time now. I had only had the frozen from china ones before, and believe me, they are allways Awfull! Had a craving, tried it again, it was still disgusting. don't waste your money. I am of the opinion, and it is just that, that the imported crawfish are just inferior to our own. I had frozen La. crawfish and they were fine...........!?!?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I recently ordered frozen 1 lb packages of tails from these folks:

http://www.lacrawfish.com/

Louisiana Crawfish Tails Fresh frozen in 1 lb packages.

Par-boiled, ready to use in all your recipes for gumbo, etouffee, etc.

These tails are "fat-on" for those recipes that call for crawfish fat.

Please note: Tails may be partially thawed when received, simply refreeze.

$15.95/lb This price includes shipping charges!

What a difference from those chinese crawfish. There is some fat, not packaged separately and great taste.

Having no idea waht the term "Crawfish Fat" meant i looked it up. Ohhh, it 's all the head goo, i see!!

Whilst looking i found this Louisiana Seafood Website stating that "Crawfish fat becomes rancid within 2-6 months when frozen", they seem to know what they're talking about.

From the Gumbo, Jambalaya, Etouffee, Creole thread, fifi wrote:
On crawfish fat . . .

I think one reason why they do that is so that they will keep longer, even frozen. Many years ago, when I worked for FDA, we used to analyze crawfish tails from the various packers when they were in season. Since we didn't use all of the samples some . . . ahem . . . found their way to our freezers. (I think the statute of limitations has run out. biggrin.gif ) Back then, the fat was kinda in there with the tails. After not very long in the freezer, and I mean a really cold well below zero freezer, the crawfish took on this awful taste. To me it almost tasted like formaldehyde. It was really inedible. Then they started packing the fat separately. This was in the very infancy of the retail prepared crawfish trade. I believe one of the local universties figured out the fat problem.

I bought a pack of frozen crawfish that was labeled as "with fat", and the fat was not packed separately. It was produced in China and the packing date was 14 months ago. When I opened it up it had a terrible formaldehyde smell and I could not bear to eat it. I went back to the retailer, a local outfit, but they claim that frozen crawfish over a year old was perfectly normal and that they have had not any complaints. They even put the same product in the soups that they sell all day -- and which I'm quite fond of. I eventually coaxed a refund from them, but I have a few questions:

Is frozen crawfish over a year old suspect?

Did I just happen to get a bad pack?

Should crawfish be packed with fat separately, as fifi writes above? Is there an article somewhere that can back this up?

Any other tips for buying frozen crawfish tails?

I love crawfish and will readily buy a sack when in season. I have purchased the frozen ones in a pinch and knowing they are just a part of some dish, say jambalaya. But, with all the chinese food problems, they will not grace my table again.

Whilst looking i found this Louisiana Seafood Website stating that "Crawfish fat becomes rancid within 2-6 months when frozen", they seem to know what they're talking about.

Thanks! I forwarded this information to the retailer.

The Chinese crawfish are dirt cheap, $9/lb. Central Market carries American crawfish for $20+. I heard that there are some suppliers from Spain that are more of a happy medium.

I'm usually pretty oblivious (daring, or stupid) when it comes to "health scare" stuff, but I think you're right. If there's one thing that one shouldn't buy from China is shellfish.