• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

passion fruit puree sources

I am traveling to the bay area to do a wedding cake and need about 32-40 oz of passion fruit puree.

I tried Perfect Puree of Napa Valley, but it's only available thru wholesale sources that have large minimums and I don't have accounts with (since I don't live there). I could buy it here thru my wholsale supplier, but then I have to try to travel with it frozen. Also, don't want to pay big amazon prices.

Has anybody tried this one from Natures flavors? http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info...roducts_id=4062

Many thanks.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I second the Goya recommendation - I get it in the frozen food section at Wegmans, so I imagine it's not too hard to find in your basic (incredibly excellent Wegmans-type) grocery store. It's relatively inexpensive - I think it was about $1.50 for 12 oz.

It seems to be of good quality - I used it for passionfruit marshmallows (I owe you one for that idea, Desiderio!) and they were spectacular.

Patty

I get mine by mail order from Perfect Puree of Napa Valley. Their products are consistently high quality. You might give them a call and see if they are carried at any stores near you.

They have a great number of flavors and they also carry fruit concentrates and frozen zests.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Because of THIS LEAD in the licorice ganache topic, I've set up a deal with Amoretti who has a great selection of items at a good price - and all UPSable. They're sending me an edible pine perfume spray sample at my request...how fun is that! Thanks JeanneCake for that lead!

That said, they have an immense puree selection - many shelf stable even after opening.

You're welcome, Rob :biggrin:

My absolute favorite passion puree is from Albert Uster. It has more "oomph" than the Perfect Puree one - at least when I make passion curd (using the Cake Bible recipe - all yolks, pure heaven on a spoon) I can really taste the difference. When I use the PP, I get a "so-so" response - when I use the AUI stuff, people swoon. I have no idea why this would be - both are less than 10% sugar.

Anyway, the puree stays frozen for up to 2 years; min order is 6 containers (each one is 32 oz). There's enough other stuff you could choose from to make the minimum ($250) for free shipping.....

Good luck....

I am traveling to the bay area to do a wedding cake and need about 32-40 oz of passion fruit puree.

I tried Perfect Puree of Napa Valley, but it's only available thru wholesale sources that have large minimums and I don't have accounts with (since I don't live there). I could buy it here thru my wholsale supplier, but then I have to try to travel with it frozen. Also, don't want to pay big amazon prices.

Has anybody tried this one from Natures flavors? http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info...roducts_id=4062

Many thanks.

You can get it at the market across from Satuie(bad spelling) winery, called Dean and Deluca.

now I'm all into the idea of the goya puree, and went to several latin grocery stores in seattle trying to find it, but only found mango and some other fruits, no passionfruit.

i guess rather than risk not finding the flavor i need, i'll have to buy the napa puree here in seattle and do my best to pack it in my suitcase.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

now I'm all into the idea of the goya puree, and went to several latin grocery stores in seattle trying to find it, but only found mango and some other fruits, no passionfruit.

i guess rather than risk not finding the flavor i need, i'll have to buy the napa puree here in seattle and do my best to pack it in my suitcase.

I just saw the passion fruit at Guadalupe in White Center I know they had it less than a week ago did you check there?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Many thanks.

You can get it at the market across from Satuie(bad spelling) winery, called Dean and Deluca.

that's V. Sattui winery. right across the highway from Dean and Deluca

Is the Goya brand pure passionfruit or is it fruit + sugar? How much do you adjust your recipes?

I see passionfruit concentrate stuff in the Asian grocery stories, but don't know for sure how much to adjust the recipes and don't know how close the taste is to puree.

i just looked again at the Perfect Puree site and they call it "Passionfruit Concentrate". I used their stuff a few years ago and can't remember whether it was puree or concentrate back then. I don't think there's sugar in Napa purees.

I haven't been able to locate the Goya passionfruit puree in Seattle. OTher puree's like mango and some cool looking white cherries, but no passionfruit. I was going to try asian stores since passionfruit is a tropical thang, but haven't been out yet.

Anyway, back to your question, ejw50. Passionfruit is a very floral fruit and is actually quite bitter/acidic, especially when it's not fresh. I found for a passionfruit mousse recipe using the Napa Puree/concentrate, I diluted it with a little guava juice to just re-add that floral note again and take away the bitterness. I can't find any info on whether the Goya pulp has sugar in it or not, but you'll be able to tell and you can adjust your recipes accordingly. the best way to figure how much to adjust is to know what the passionfruit tastes like without sugar, then taste the pulp itself and estimate what percentage of sugar was added, say 20%, then simply reduce the sugar in your recipe by 20%, or maybe just 10%.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I went to the Goya website and came up with this west cost information:

Goya Foods of California

15320 Salt Lake Avenue

City of Industry, CA 91745

Tel: 626-961-6161

Fax: 626-937-2464

Maybe they can hel you find their stuff in your neighborhood. Down here in FL, I get it a Publix, not that that will help you! :huh:

Good luck!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I get mine by mail order from Perfect Puree of Napa Valley. Their products are consistently high quality. You might give them a call and see if they are carried at any stores near you.

They have a great number of flavors and they also carry fruit concentrates and frozen zests.

Eileen

"Perfect Puree".. dang thanks, i was banging my head on the wall trying to think of this brand and all i could come up with was "pure puree.". thanks again hehehe