• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating My Way Through Buenos Aires

My laptop died so it's been kind of hard to get online ... internet cafes only! I have a few more restaurants left ... I'm hoping to get everything wrapped up by New Year's !

There's a pretty big Japanese population here, so I wouldn't be surprised if his estimate is correct, especially if he's speaking in terms of what we call "Gran Buenos Aires", which includes both the capital and the surrounding metropolitan area of 28 suburban communities. Escobar, one of those to the north, I've been told has a very large Japanese community, and even a sort of "Japan town" area for shopping. Here in town, there are numerous Japanese restaurants and a few specialized groceries, concentrated in the Congreso area. There's even a good size Japanese cultural center that hosts social events, a clinic with Japanese speaking doctors, and a quite good restaurant.

Yep! My first Jap-girlfriend came from Escobar Nelly Hagi... what a nice girls she wa!!! Wonder why we have never had a Jewish restaurant even though when the community was as large as nearlly 200.000 in Buenos Aires at one time and I was a gold trader at Calle Libertad back in the seventies.

• 1 year later...
I'm living in Buenos Aires until mid-October where I'm (hopefully) improving my Spanish, learning more about the culture and, most importantly, discovering some culinary secrets on this side of the equator.  I'm certainly no professional writer (I studied computer science, if you believe that) nor am I culinary expert.  I'm sort of a scatterbrain; but, like everyone else here, I love food and pretty much everything about it. 

A little about me: I spent the last 5 years of my life living in NYC where I had all sorts of cool food during which I probably should have been studying.  I've been to over 400 documented restaurants in these past 5 years (I keep a notebook) ranging from Masa (along with a good friend of mine tupac17616 who actually inspired me to write this with his trip to italy) to scoops of gelato at Il Laboratorio, and many places inbetween.  My experience with food in NY has been wide-ranging; but, I have no preference for haute cuisine ... just for delicious food (in fact, I'm really turned off by pretense and the way it negatively affects my experience).  My favorite restaurants in NY currently are L'Atelier and Blue Hill at Stone Barns, two places I really miss.  I love the way a meal can bring together a group of totally different people to satisfy a common desire, even if they don't speak the same language or share many of the same interests.  I love the feeling of spending a day in the kitchen and watching friends and family (usually) enjoying my attempt at creativity.  At the risk of sounding cheesy, food is a very special glue that brings people together and, in the case of living in a foreign country, tells a lot about the culture.

So, before I came down here I made a brief list of restaurants I wanted to experience while here, most of which came from various sources (personal recommendations, newspaper articles, guide books, etc ...).  I always write down something after I experience a restaurant because it helps me to better relive the experience in the future and to, sometimes, better illuminate exactly what I liked.  And, as an aspiring chef, these notes have been really helpful in the kitchen.

Before coming down here, I realized that there was not too much activity on Buenos Aires restaurants in cuisine in general, only a few threads here and there.  So, I decided that it might be helpful to post some of my experiences here so that, hopefully, future foodies can make more informed decisions!

So here's my list so far.  If you have any experience at these places please share.  Likewise, if you have a must-visit place that is not on this list, please share that too!  All and any input is requested!

Cabaña Las Lilas, Sucre, El Gaucho, Oviedo, Le Mistral, Tomo Uno, Duhau Restaurante & Vinoteca, La Bourgogne, Rosa Negra, Le Sud, Restó, Yuki, Anciens Combattant, Bengal, Italpast, Sinclair, Don Carlos, La Dorita, Casa Cruz, Olsen, Guido’s Bar, La Generosa, Morena, La Cabrera, Enfundá La Mandolina, Desde el Alma, La Escondida, Puratierra, Maizales, Las Cholas, Osaka, Azzurra 222, El Diamiante, Te Mataré Ramirez, Cala Bistró, De La Ostia, Cluny, Bar Uriarte, Spirit Deli & Oyster Bar, Little Rose, Rodizio, Dada, Guerrin, Tuñin, Morelia

Stay tuned!

you must add Jangada and Astrid & Gaston