• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aubergine

JFK

I had a very fine lunch there at the beginning of summer.

I don't recall the meal exactly but it was something like foie gras 3 ways for starter & lamb w sweetbreads for mains. Without wine it was around 20 pounds & I do remeber think it was very good.

Wouldn't mind trying an evening meal - I look forward to your report.

Macrosan,

I regret that my resies at RHR will not be "EBAYED". It has been a year since my last visit and each visit has improved on the last. Although I may have overdone it this time with the quantity and quality of places, and fear I may in fact turn into a sweetbread or an entire lobe of foie gras after this trip.

I look forward to returning and providing some insights into "Menu". I wouldn't normally jump head first into a new establishment so soon, but I just couldn't resist.

Cheers,

JFK

Aw heck, JFK, you were just influenced by Cabbie on that one :wink:

If you turn into a foie gras lobe, please don't appear at any of our eGullet get-togethers --- you'll get eaten up in the rush :raz:

Enjoy a bunch of great meals, JFK, and do report back at your earliest. There are lots of people here waiting .....

• 5 years later...

I had a really great meal at Aubergine last night. Menu gourmand was £140 with wine.

It was a perfect example of how a restaurant doesn't have to be hugely innovative or break out of a well-established trend to be good. Classic combinations cooked in a technically excellent manner with solid, well-matched wines.

Sometimes it's more clever not to try to be smart.

• 1 year later...
Anybody got any info about William Drabble's next venture, never got around to eating his food yet.

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009...-aubergine.html

I don't know the answer to that, but I'm trying to find out.

BTW, Francois Bertrand, previously sommelier at Le Gavroche and latterly maitre d' at Bouchon Breton, was installed as maitre d' at Aubergine a couple of months ago.

Cheers, Howard