• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Black Cod

Does anyone have a source for smoked black cod / sable in Seattle? I had it for the first time last week and I think it's even more enjoyable than the ubiquitous salmon.

I purchased some at Jensen's a few months ago. A block north of that sweet 5-way intersection of 105th & Greenwood & Holman Rd in North Seattle.

Don't see it on the website, but worth a call before heading over:

Jensen's Smokehouse

Smoked eel is wonderful. If you know anyone going through the Copenhagen airport they can buy it for you vacuum-packed and customs-valid. Skip the small pieces and get a whole one. It might have the head, but it doesn't matter, it isn't disgusting, just comical. You can cut it into segments and freeze some for later Then, just peel off the skin and separate out the large bones. It makes good rolled sushi with chives and cucumber or egg.

Chris