• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO a good strawberry jam and boysenberry jam

merstar

I've been buying Smucker's and used to use Polaner's fruit-sweetened strawberry jam. These, of course, are not overly sweet, since there's no processed sugar or corn syrup, but the strawberry taste is too muted. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I've been buying Smucker's and used to use Polaner's fruit-sweetened strawberry jam. These, of course, are not overly sweet, since there's no processed sugar or corn syrup, but the strawberry taste is too muted. Any recommendations? Thanks.

You might want to try Polaner's "Spreadable Strawberries." Please note that this is not their 'All-Fruit' spread. Ingredients are strawberries, sugar, pectin and citric acid, and it has a very nice strawberry flavor. I don't particularly care for the spreads sweetened with fruit juice concentrates, as they seem to taste like the juices rather than whatever fruit the spread is supposed to be. Sugar in the 'Spreadable Strawberries' adds only sweetness, not other fruit flavors.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Thanks a lot - I've never tried their "Spreadables." Will have to check out the strawberry the next time I'm in the supermarket.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I haven't tried the strawberry or boysenberry, but I've yet to be disappointed by American Spoon, which have no corn syrup. The "spoon fruits" are sweetened with fruit juice, and although they aren't a jam as such, I think you could substitute them for jam in most cases.

(I can't get sour cherries up here, so American Spoon is my go-to place for sour cherry preserves.)