• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Art

oli

WOW!!!!

they are absolutely stupendous--and it's interesting how many styles are employed--hyper-realism, cartoony, dreamy Impressionism.

It's almost a sin to think of eating them!

Zoe

Cool. I've never thought to give line art to a commercial bakery that has photo-cake capabilities. Maybe I should try that.. (I'm not sure how many people would enjoy a dollar bill cake though :)

I love the sewing machine and anatomy book cakes.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Thanks for the link oli. :smile: These cakes are indeed breathtaking (that old fashioned sewing machine is especially amazing). However, many of the comments accompanying them are some of the most tacky, juvenile and vulgar I've seen in a while. Too bad. :sad:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

from the website:

All you see below are cakes that can be eaten without any part of it left. No plastics or any other artificial stuff is being used - everything is eatable. All this cakes by Zhanna from St. Petersburg.

Apparently Zhanna is a bakery located in St Petersburg. I don't know how but we have to get them on this site for Q&A.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No you can't brag, but I will for you :)

Those are really beautiful.  I especially liked your pink hat box.  Also, its nice to see the diversity of what you do - not just frilly or abstract - very good mix.

thanks for visiting the website and thanks for harmlessly putting me in my place!!!

Tanya, cake lady

Rochester, NY

I especially loved the furry cap with the pocket contents, what Chris calls his "pocket dump"---the coins alone have filled five-gallon bottles over the years.

You can just see the guy, coming in from the cold at the end of a workday, shelling out of his heavy outer garments, putting all his pocket necessities into his heavy cap, ready for another day tomorrow.

And the sewing machine :wub:

What's the deal with all that American money?