• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eel

sharonb

I love eel, especially grilled with some kind of thin Asian sauce. But not only do the (very few) Japanese places I've eaten at in Paris not have eel on the menu, I have never seen it on any fishmonger's stand, in any season. (I'd rather make it at home. I'm also not a huge fan of soupy sauce-based preparations such as en matelote or au vert).

So, question: is it ever available at the markets? When? Where?

Or do any restaurants serve it grilled?

The last time I had eel in France was in a restaurant near the Lac de Grand-Lieu in the Muscadet region, where it was served in a delicious preparation with tons of garlic and frog's legs.

Edited by sharonb (log)

Sushi restaurants in Paris generally serve grilled eel. Nodaiwa on rue Saint-Honoré even specializes in that.

Otherwise, you'd have to go to a large fishmonger and even there it is not easy to find. Try the African market streets around Chateau-Rouge or the Chinese markets like Tang, they might have it.

I love eel, especially grilled with some kind of thin Asian sauce.

Go North, Picardie, Pas de Calais, Ghislaine Arabian country (she's reputed to be running a catering Co. now around Paris; maybe she'll cater you some.)

From the topic =

Wednesday/Thursday, Le Monde’s Jean-Claude Ribaut wrote two articles, one entitled “Intimate Service” about catered meals at home that featured: Ghislane Arabian, now head of “production” of Passion Traiteur, 145, bvd de Valmy in Colombes, 01.46.49.45.50 who has 50 cooks and 40 pastry chefs under her.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris