• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying tea in Singapore and Hong Kong

MarkinHouston

My wife will be in Sinapore, Manila, and Hong Kong on business, and i am going along for the experience. Are there partiular places to purchase quality teas, maybe for a better price than is available in the states? Any rare or special Chinese blends that are worth trying? Thanks for any insight--I usually drink iced Luzianne or Tetley's to accomodate the Houston heat.

In HK, try Sun Sing Tea House, which has branches in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong. They offer quality teas, teaware and tastings. The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about all kinds of tea, brew methods, etc.

Check out the site to see an example of what they offer (there are lots more in the shops than on the site) and prices (anywhere from $6-7US to $36-21 for 75g depending on the tea).

For a more traditional feel, try Ying Kee Tea House, which was founded in 1881 in Guangzhou and moved to HK in the 50's. It has branches all over HK.

Hope this helps. Happy tea hunting.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

In HK, try Sun Sing Tea House, which has branches in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong.  They offer quality teas, teaware and tastings.  The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about all kinds of tea, brew methods, etc.

Check out the site to see an example of what they offer (there are lots more in the shops than on the site) and prices (anywhere from $6-7US to $36-21 for 75g depending on the tea).

For a more traditional feel, try Ying Kee Tea House, which was founded in 1881 in Guangzhou and moved to HK in the 50's.  It has branches all over HK. 

Hope this helps.  Happy tea hunting.

Thanks, Sartain! These are excellent resources, and I look forward to stopping into both places.

You might contact the woman who does this blog Cha Dao - she recently returned from a trip to China [and possibly other countries] - she may know of Singapore and Hong Kong haunts. She could, at the very least, give you some clues on how to go about shopping, wandering around, and sampling. I do recall being mesmerized by some of her adventures in the countryside and cities.

Edited by memesuze (log)