• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonita Springs reccos?

zoe b

we'll be in North Naples in Sept--from what I hear, Bonita Springs has reasonable little casual places to eat--we haven't had much luck In Naples in the past--any favorite places?

Fish shacks, southern and ethnic would all be appreciated--thanks--Zoe

There a little restaurant on old 41 in bonita springs called dixie moon cafe that you should definately try out, it is one of a kind.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

thanks, chef--and I think i recall that you are cooking in naples? 

Anyplace we could afford?

I like to support fellow E-Gers.

Zoe

Working on re-opening Chardonnay Restaurant in Naples. New name Chardonnay Nouveau, opening mid september. A bit pricey, but it is going to be a lot less expensive than it was in the past and a lot less stuffy.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

• 2 weeks later...

Working on re-opening Chardonnay Restaurant in Naples.  New name Chardonnay Nouveau, opening mid september.  A bit pricey, but it is going to be a lot less expensive than it was in the past and a lot less stuffy.

we'll check you out if you're open!

and thanks for the Mexican tip, kartoffel.

will report back after our trip. Z

• 2 weeks later...

ok, we're back--and we hardly went out for dinner being the lazy ones that we are--but here's a small report, anyway.

The first place was the Fish House in Bonita Beach--cute, Island colors and funky--you can sit on the dock or in booths inside--nothing fabulous, but decent, inexpensive food--I had the grouper Tacos and they were excellent, the hub had a fish combo--grouper, scallops ans shrimp--lots of fish and nice and tender.

The next outing was to the Dixie Moon Cafe on old 41--man, don't try to find it after dark--there are neon bar signs but no restaurant name--we went past it three times.

This place I really love--has tons of personality, a really nice manager (forgot his name, unfortunately)who's been there for eight years--which is a good sign.

Great, crunchy fried green tomatoes--I think they use cornmeal for the crust which is my favorite way to do them, comes with texas caviar--nice and fresh. The hub got a fish platter--grouper and fabulous fries--crispy and dark-- I could live on these fries.

We were with a friend and she and I were full after the tomatoes so we just got two appetisers--wings--really good--big and not soggy--and fried smelts--why I don't know--maybe because we had never had them--and loved them, too--moist and crunchy and meaty.

The portions are gigantic--the hub and I had the leftovers on the beach the next day for lunch.

We finished off the night at the North Naples Country Club for a drink or two--not what it sounds like--this is a relic of the older naples--just a joint with no decor or style--cheap drinks and pool tables--filled with locals. I've never seen anyone eating there, but supposedly it has decent bar food.

The last meal was at the English Pub--in Naples--had to go there as when our daughter lived in Naples that was her local--it hasn't changed--still full of tacky souvenirs--I don't miss the old fog of cigarette smoke there, though--

the hub got fish & chips (he has a one track mind, I'm afraid about food, anyway) I had bangers and mash--I love this--sticky, gluey potatoes, cripy greasy sausages and onion gravy--what could be better?

alli n all-- afun trip with some fun meals out.

Z