• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken Livers - Chicago

Nookies Tree, in Chicago's Boystown, 3334 N. Halsted, is known for their fried chicken livers and onions. Haven't enjoyed them for several years, so my info may be outdated. They have a location in Lincoln Park as well. I don't like them as well as my own fried chicken livers, but they are a very nice treat.

Bret

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand), CEO

Global Organic Designs Lifestyle Services

www.god-dess.com

Being from Southern Indiana, I sometimes get a hankering for some good fried chicken livers, but I have no idea where in Chicago to go to sate said hankerings. Anyone know of anyplace?

Harold's does a pretty solid rendition and they have locations all over the city -- from Roseland to Rogers Park.

When I was a kid, I used to love Brown's Chicken's version but it's been years and I don't know if they're still any good.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Bradley Gene Smith I think you have piqued our interest, I sense a week of Fried and otherwise chicken liver reports from Chicago. :cool:

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I tried Brown's fried chicken livers for the first time a couple of weeks ago, from their location on Devon Avenue. They also offer fried gizzards. Both are passable, but I found I needed to add some garlic salt to make them tasty (and I hate using garlic salt).

Bret

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand), CEO

Global Organic Designs Lifestyle Services

www.god-dess.com

I tried Brown's fried chicken livers for the first time a couple of weeks ago, from their location on Devon Avenue.  They also offer fried gizzards.  Both are passable, but I found I needed to add some garlic salt to make them tasty (and I hate using garlic salt). 

Bret

That's too bad but not completely surprising.

It's clear that Mr. Smith requires something higher in quality than "passable." Hell, don't we all? :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com