• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scholium Project wines

RichardA

I've tried more than a few of these wines and can recommend them.

Abe is using natural winemaking, low to zero sulphur, generally zero racking, not trying to create fruit oriented/dominated wines. He is definitely not making wines in the same fashion as the "crowd".

You may find something you love and some that you hate. High risk/reward.

If there is a specific wine you are interested in, I may have tasted it....if so happy to provide my thoughts.

These wines are not for everyone.

Thanks. I may attend a tasting soon of some Scholium wines so just wanted to see which ones, if any, that people recommended. I have never had any of their wines before, and don't know which ones might be available at the tasting.

The small world phenomenon at work. Yesterday at lunch one of the wines my host served was one of the Scholium stable. My tasting note follows.

Scholium Project, Trimalchionis Farina Vineyard, 2005: Made entirely from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, 50% of which were impacted upon by botrytis. Despite that, a crisply dry, full-bodied wine, starting off quietly with lightly funky earthy minerals and then opening to show appealingly bitter citrus and citrus peel. Mouth-filling and in a way "potent" with its flavors. One to love or to hate. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 87. (Tasted but not blind 22 Aug 2007)

Hi Daniel,

Interesting wine, I've had it and would not disagree with your note, I liked it more. . I think the wine was pretty bright with, well frankly a lot going on. I think this is called the "Cena". Oddly he released another wine from the same juice but with 3 more months of bottle age. I haven't tried Cena II. In general these wines benefit from a lot of aeration and do tend to expand, but I can't remember this one in particular. Cheers.

RichardA,

Well you cannot beat the opportunity to taste them. As I said some of them really show best with a good bit of air. Enjoy and I hope you post some notes.

Edited by Triangle TMac (log)