• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premium & Superpremium Vodka: The Topic

Mebutter

Yum.

Blend of Raspberry and Cranberry Flavor Hits Shelves in June; Signature Metal Bottle Chills Vodka Faster

The Absolut Spirits Company, Inc. announced today the launch of DANZKA® Cranberyraz Vodka, the first flavored vodka in the world to combine the naturally sweet flavor of wild raspberry with a hint of slightly tart cranberry. DANZKA Cranberyraz Vodka joins the brand's other unique flavors of citrus and grapefruit, all offered in a signature metal bottle that is made to chill vodka at optimal temperatures.

Full press release here.

http://www.danzka.com

Cheers!

My two favorites I have to search for are:

Jewel of Russia Classic

Ston

The vodka I drink in when out if they dont have the above:

Grey Goose

Chopin

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

My Dad was Polish and after he passed away, my brothers and I picked some gems from his liquor cabinet. Since then, I've done some research on Polish Vodka and I look for new stuff whenever I find a good liquor store. Probably my favorite so far is Krolewska. One of the bottles I got from Dad's stash was a bottle of Zubrowka that he brought back from Poland. Very interesting flavor almost like liquorice.

My favorite domestic is Hangar One.

I keep a bottle of Hangar One and whatever Polish Product I'm currently trying in the Freezer at all times.

I'm really thirsty now...

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Is it even possible to get zubrowka here in the U.S.?

No. There's a chemical component of the grass that is classified as a "hallucinogenic agent" or some such nonsense, and hence is treated as a controlled substance, much like cocaine or heroin. :wacko:

Actually, IIRC, the reason it is banned is that there is a chemical component in the grass that acts as a blood thinner, the fear being along the lines that someone will get drunk on a lot of buffalo grass vodka, pass out and bleed to death from what would otherwise be a minor cut.

--

Is it even possible to get zubrowka here in the U.S.?

No. There's a chemical component of the grass that is classified as a "hallucinogenic agent" or some such nonsense, and hence is treated as a controlled substance, much like cocaine or heroin. :wacko:

Actually, IIRC, the reason it is banned is that there is a chemical component in the grass that acts as a blood thinner, the fear being along the lines that someone will get drunk on a lot of buffalo grass vodka, pass out and bleed to death from what would otherwise be a minor cut.

Sam:

You may very well be correct more specifically than I was. My understanding though was that the 1978 ban had something to do with "hallucinogenic" properties. :wacko: But I've most certainly been wrong before, and I doubt this'll be the last time either. :wink:

A recent reference to the rumor I'd heard is HERE

The good news is that it's now legal again in all 50 states. There's a site devoted to Zubrowka HERE for any aficionados that need to find their stash. :smile:

Having tried the real thing that was smuggled to me by a friend that did a lot of business in Poland, I can unequivocally state that it's really damned tasty stuff. Really refreshing with an herbacious taste that wasn't as nasty or overwhelming as say, gazpacho with too many bell peppers in it. Good vodka!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, I'm still not sure that one can buy true bison grass vodka in the US. While the Bison Brand people do go out of their way to make it seem like it's true bison grass vodka, my suspicions are aroused because 1) Bison Brand Vodka has long sold a bison grass flavored (as opposed to bison grass infused) vodka in the US, and 2) when I see things like this on their web site:

. . . one thing's for sure, as an ingredient [bison grass's] essence makes for one hell of a great tasting vodka. Bison Brand has replicated this flavor to a tee, and as an undeniable reminder of is predecessor, still places a blade of this mystical grass inside every bottle.

I also note that nothing I have read suggests that the ban on true bison grass vodka containing the blood-thinning chemical has been lifted.

This suggests to me that they have figured out a way to remove the "dangerous" chamical from the blade of grass in the bottle, but that the Bison Brand "zubrowka" sold in the US is still flavored to taste like bison grass vodka rather than being true bison grass-infused vodka. I don't know... maybe they figured out a way to entirely remove the chemical from zubrowka without screwing up the taste, but I doubt it.

Here is some relevant information from polishvodka.com:

he source of Zubrowka's wealth of qualities is a plant of unassuming appearance called sweet grass, holy grass, Seneca grass or vanilla grass, or in Latin Hierochloe odorata. In Poland we call it bison grass (bison in Polish is zubr). Bison grass contains coumarin, a glycoside with a distinctive fragrance, once generally used to flavor tobacco, cakes and beverages. Today, because coumarin has been found to have anticoagulant properties, it is allowed only in tiny amounts which the Polish health authorities deem harmless.

--

Men's Journal has an interesting article on the "flavor" of Vodka. The crux of it is that a spirit that is, by definition- flavorless, actually has tons of subtle differences between brands. Especially (of course) in the high end bottles. It is a pretty interesting read.

Neutral Grain Spirits aren't so neutral after all-says this guy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to 3 liquor stores around the twin cities and nobody carries it. Does anybody know a brand name so i can help out the local liquor store?

I have a drink recipe im going to try tonight that I found in a copy of Itallian Cooking and Living from 2001

The recipe is

2 oz Villa Massa Liqoure di lemoni

1 oz freshly squeezed Orange Juice

1/2 oz peach flavored vodka

1/2 oz heavy cream

Combine all ingredients in a martini shaker half full of cracked ice. shake and serve.

I was also unable to find the first ingredient for this so i bought a bottle of Lazzaroni Limoncino Del Choistro and im going to substitute the peach vodka with peach schnapps.

Wish me luck!

i know this isn't the question you were asking, but i have a Brazilian friend who macerates guava and passionfruit (pulp, seeds) in vodka, and it's great.

as another aside, the Goya juices are all excellent, if you're unable to find peach vodka.

good luck!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I have a drink recipe im going to try tonight that I found in a copy of Itallian Cooking and Living from 2001

Considering it came from an Italian cooking magazine, I'd safely guess Zone vodka, distilled in Italy BTW, is what would be what they are after.

There are others, but they might be awfully hard to find in the States, for instance Georgievskaya Peach from Russia, and I believe Stoli stopped distillation of Stolichnaya Persik for some time now. :sad:

There may be another choice I've read about -- Zygo is now offering a peach flavoured vodka, but I haven't seen it nor am I too thrilled about the concept. See their website and you'll see they dub themselves as the "morning vodka" and blend into the vodka: taurine, d-ribose, guarana and yerba mate. That's the same stuff that the growing energy soft drinks, i.e., Red Bull, do with their beverages for that boosted energy.

Good luck!

Perhaps adding some fresh peach juice or puree? Or the ever sticky peach schnapps?

Give some consideration infusing your own peach vodka?

Yum. :smile:

Edited by beans (log)

I have seen peach vodka and recently. Of course I live in Georgia so it might be a regional thing. It was at Tower Liquors (if that helps).

There is a peach liqueur made by Mathilde that we used to use at the restaurant for making "peach martinis". We would mix it w/ vodka @ 4 parts vodka to 1 part liqueur (or there abouts) w/a splash of peach juice for the martinis. That might work for what you want to do (w/o the peach juice)

Good luck w/ it.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Well, since I love peaches, I took a better look at ivodka.com, and a few other web resources. First, look at this quote from author Robert Bradford, Beverage Business Editorial, It seems laughable that the B.A.T.F. sages in Washington, DC, still officially define vodka with that same stodgy, thread-bare "odorless white spirit, lacking in flavor and taste" moniker that's been around since the age of the Czars.

And the good news continues. More domestics than ever are reporting sales advances, including, for instance, popular-priced brands like McCormick, Skol, Barton, Gilbey's, Burnett's, Aristocrat, Vladimir, Five O'Clock, Georgi, Mohawk, and Jacquin's Vodka Royale, to mention a few. And the category's humongous best-seller, Smirnoff, by itself, has reached the 7 million case plateau, and is now the #2 best-selling spirit in the world. Indeed, the Smirnoff behemoth, with its growing arsenal of Twist flavored trademarks, has been increasing about 10% the last two consecutive years - a truly astonishing growth statistic for a leading giant in any category.

(Emphasis mine.)

The article in full can be viewed here.

Keep in mind some of the following are regionally distributed, budget friendly brands.

Excellent Peach Vodka, Poland (no picture)

Georgi Peach Vodka, US (New York), Star Industries

Ideal Peach Vodka, Poland

Izy Peach Vodka, from Svensk Vodka, Sweden (cannot find anyother mention of this, so it may no longer be distilled/produced by Svensk or their parent company Fondberg & Co.)

Lubelska Peach Flavored Vodka, Poland

McCormick Peach Vodka - not sure about this one. McCormick Vodka was the cheapest (price and quality) well vodka that I've ever seen (it comes in plastic bottles)

Mohawk Peach Vodka, US, no picture or much info other than noting it exists

Premium Peach Vodka, Poland

Queen Peach Wodka, Poland

Regnum Peach Vodka, Poland (no picture)

Wyborowa Peach, Poland - I've seen and drank regular Wyborowa, but don't believe that many of its flavoured vodkas are in the States.

Znaps Peach Vodka, Sweden

Whew. I hope this helps.

I've got to run. Work calls, and of course the rainy looking clouds are moving in. :angry:

quotation fix

Edited by beans (log)

If you decide not to go with any of the numerous choices Beans gave you

(and you're feeling a little adventurous),

you can always infuse your own vodka with peach flavors.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Plotkin authored a fairly comprehensive article regarding vodka and its place within the American market.

Americans are buying vodka at a record pace and there seems to be no end to the trend in sight. Vodka accounts for more than 26% of all distilled spirits sold in the U.S., eclipsed only by the combined sales figure for all whiskies -- Scotch, Irish, Bourbon and Canadian.

Versatilty, accessability, packaging as well as the vodkas from Russia, Poland, Estonia, Scandinavia, the Netherlands, France, Ireland, England and North America -- along with some of the noteworthy introductions are fully examined. I finally got to see that fantastic bottle desinged by architect Frank Gehry for Wyborowa Single Estate!

I was also happy to learn of Spudka from Oregon's Hood River Distillers. :smile:

At the end, there is a short list of tasting notes.

Not all vodkas are created equally. In fact, most of the great vodka brands are significantly different from each other, similar to the distinctions that exist between the major labels of gin, rum and malt whisky. The principal differences between vodkas are what they're made from, how they are made, and possibly most important, the quality of the water used in their production.

This article can be found in full, here.

Cheers!

Edited by beans (log)

What a useful piece. Thanks, Beans!

Hey... I see he covers Zubrowka; I would like to draw attention to the fact that I have come through with the answer to the mystery of bison grass - only a year after the question was raised (hey, what can I say - I wasn't here in time to get to it sooner). Please notice it and be pleased, somebody! I was all proud of it and everything....

:snif:

Hey... I see he covers Zubrowka; I would like to draw attention to the fact that I have come through with the answer to the mystery of bison grass - only a year after the question was raised (hey, what can I say - I wasn't here in time to get to it sooner). Please notice it and be pleased, somebody! I was all proud of it and everything....

I beat you to it. :smile:

[brit West, brand manager for Türi Vodka, says that] while some consumers may be able to categorically say, 'I don't like the taste of cognac,' it is rare that you hear people saying that about vodka."

Without taking away anything from vodka, which I use with some frequency, I would suggest that the above statement is true largely because vodka doesn't have much taste (a.k.a., flavor).

--