• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premium & Superpremium Vodka: The Topic

Mebutter

Do these things even have their parent beverage in them? It was my understanding from my limted experience with these things that they were primarily some kind of fruit flavored malt beverages - kind of like the relationship wine coolers have to wine.

yeah there both available ion the Uk through a company called iceberg imports based in london, or if you want you can pick up a bottle from jerrys on old compton rd.

the platinum is supposed to be the better of the two, people who've tried it are pretty mixed on which is better.

have'nt seen it in many bars, it's not very main stream.

i thought it was ok, but i've kind of gone off vodka recently, sorry i'm not more help

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I'm looking to get in touch with the guys from Precis vodka from several weeks...

Unfortunately, any phone numbers and emails that I got is not anymore available.

Please, could you help me to get some news from them ???

Cheers

• 1 month later...
I have heard Bacardi are distributors of this premium vodka in the states. Can anyone shed any more light and also if it is available in Britain?

Its not available at any of the obvious (London) places such as Gerry's or Soho Wines. The Russian grocers on Queensway stock a number of Estonian vodkas (also Vanna Tallin liqueur - anyone tried this ? ). I'll check out whether Turi is amongst them , next time I'm in there.

I have seen it occassionally in trendy bars so I guess it is available somewhere.

Gethin

• 1 month later...

I bought a bottle of Effen Vodka for a friend of mine who celebrated a birthday recently. He normally likes Ketel One while his wife prefers Vox. So I decided to see if I could find a Dutch vodka that they would both like. Well, plus we could laugh about "make me an effen martini, dammit." Aside from the gag and gimmickery, the vodka was quite good -- very clean, smooth, and pure.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 3 weeks later...

thats just great. as if vodka drinkers arent the most annoying and likely people to walk up to the bar on a cell phone wave down the bartender impatiently then and only then inquire of its three friends what theyd like to drink and then after ordering these drinks one at a time pay with its credit card for the round for the second or third time that night.... as if this isnt bad enough now they can be extra extra cool and ask for an effen martini. thats effen great. im effen excited. i effen love marketing even more the effen vodka or more than effen vodka drinkers.

sure glad theres some effen vodka i wont have to serve for once.

• 4 months later...

Here on the Border where Stoli is $8.00 a liter you drink Stoli. Bagels we don't have but we do have Stoli.

Drink up,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Ok all you vodka aficionados.

Have anyone tried Snow Queen ?

Produced in Kazakhstan, 5 times distilled and well worth the effort.

Very 'clean' spirit with slight hint of lemon (to my tastebuds anyway).

Can be purchased in the UK for £28 ($50) but I'm sure that it can be bought

in the US for much less as you're not being taxed to death.

Following the Aged Gin thread I got interested in 'aged' vodka producers.. This stuff is distilled 10 times and aged in oak(dunno how long). Judging by various websites, people are saying this is THE premium vodka in the states. As i am from the UK I can't comment on that. I have tried Kauffman vintage vodka(very good but contrived brand) and obviously Grey Goose.

How does Crater Lake compare with the top ultras?

Following the Aged Gin thread I got interested in 'aged' vodka producers.. This stuff is distilled 10 times and aged in oak(dunno how long). Judging by various websites, people are saying this is THE premium vodka in the states. As i am from the UK I can't comment on that. I have tried Kauffman vintage vodka(very good but contrived brand) and obviously Grey Goose.

How does Crater Lake compare with the top ultras?

Have you tried Snow Queen ?

No, I have'nt tried this either. Its the 'hip' vodka at the moment in London, i know. Distilled 5 times. You're going to tell me its really good!

Hevelius is another must try vodka I have'nt tried. Its distilled 6 (SIX) times. I've been told its the real deal tho.

Its only a matter of time before we see a vodka distilled 10 times!!

No, I have'nt tried this either. Its the 'hip' vodka at the moment in London, i know. Distilled 5 times. You're going to tell me its really good!

Hevelius is another must try vodka I have'nt tried. Its distilled 6 (SIX) times. I've been told its the real deal tho.

Its only a matter of time before we see a vodka distilled 10 times!!

Don't think it matters after 5 times anyway :unsure:

You're right, it is good. Very smooth and a bit 'lemony'.

It's a bit like the nutters who think that Scotch gets better and better with age but don't realise that nothing really changes after about 15 years in the barrel. :wacko:

Or the real nutters who think spirits mature in the bottle (you know who you are) :biggrin:

Has anyone tried these? I guess they are available in SoCal, Las Vegas and Atlanta markets.........and Missoula, Montana.....?

Modern Sprits Vodka clickety

They are being marketed to sip with dinner...............

I'll have my husband bring one up from San Diego this weekend........what flavor?

To Quote a Palm Beach article:

Candied Ginger: Captures both the sweet spice and the biting heat of ginger. This, with a lemon twist, might be my favorite new drink.

• Grapefruit Honey: Clean and assertive, with the little bitterness that grapefruit fans look for.

• Pear Lavender: Great back-and-forth dialogue between the two flavors. This is the one with which to impress food friends.

• Chocolate Orange: Very interesting, with a flavor that makes you think of sticking your nose in a tin of Dutch processed cocoa. The orange comes through at the end like the bergamot in Earl Grey tea.

• Tea: A mix of black, green and oolong teas. The woody sweetness of oolong really comes through.

• Celery Peppercorn: Both come through modestly, with a bit of red pepper spice on the finish. I like the combination of flavors in this vodka, but the structure of the Pear Lavender is superior.

• Oregon Black Truffle: As advertised, with an earthy, mushroomy finish. Not exactly a pleasant drink by itself, but would likely recommend itself as an accompaniment to a course in an overly long meal.

All sound good to me except the Black Truffle............. :wacko:

No doubt we will have a saffron infused vodka next..

I've done this. I used it to make a Vanilla-Saffron Martini with a little Licor 43 and Southern Comfort and a splash of sour mix and lime juice. The folks that liked it loved it, and everyone else just couldn't wrap their heads around a savory cocktail. We took it off the menu soon thereafter. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol