• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four months in Nantes

I will be leaving soon for Nantes, where I'll be spending four months studying at the University of Nantes. In those four months I plan on doing a lot of eating, so, what's good around there? Does anyone live in or near Nantes? If so, I'd love to get together to eat and get a local's perspective. Thanks!

I will be leaving soon for Nantes, where I'll be spending four months studying at the University of Nantes. In those four months I plan on doing a lot of eating, so, what's good around there? Does anyone live in or near Nantes? If so, I'd love to get together to eat and get a local's perspective. Thanks!

Congratulations. What a treat.

I've just posted a new compendium of things Nantoise.

Also, I’ve had the extraordinary fortune to have been in Nantes every two years or so and it’s a great place. The star (no pun intended) is L’Atlantide - a simply wonderful, starred restaurant chef’d by Jean-Yves Gueho which of course features seafood and is thoroughly good but there are a lot of other places that are good, for instance, La Cigale is a great circa-1895 brasserie where pretty good oysters can be found. Finally, you’re but a few hours from my most favorite place in the world, the Ile d’Yeu, where at least last summer a talented young chef Nicolas Vagnon, ex-Lucullus in the 17th, was chef'ing at Chez Nicolas, 13 rue du Marche, on the back street off the port at Port-Joinville, 06.74.24.73.10, closed Wednesdays.

Good luck, and please do report back j.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris