• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four months in Nantes

jkonick

I will be leaving soon for Nantes, where I'll be spending four months studying at the University of Nantes. In those four months I plan on doing a lot of eating, so, what's good around there? Does anyone live in or near Nantes? If so, I'd love to get together to eat and get a local's perspective. Thanks!

I will be leaving soon for Nantes, where I'll be spending four months studying at the University of Nantes. In those four months I plan on doing a lot of eating, so, what's good around there? Does anyone live in or near Nantes? If so, I'd love to get together to eat and get a local's perspective. Thanks!

Congratulations. What a treat.

I've just posted a new compendium of things Nantoise.

Also, I’ve had the extraordinary fortune to have been in Nantes every two years or so and it’s a great place. The star (no pun intended) is L’Atlantide - a simply wonderful, starred restaurant chef’d by Jean-Yves Gueho which of course features seafood and is thoroughly good but there are a lot of other places that are good, for instance, La Cigale is a great circa-1895 brasserie where pretty good oysters can be found. Finally, you’re but a few hours from my most favorite place in the world, the Ile d’Yeu, where at least last summer a talented young chef Nicolas Vagnon, ex-Lucullus in the 17th, was chef'ing at Chez Nicolas, 13 rue du Marche, on the back street off the port at Port-Joinville, 06.74.24.73.10, closed Wednesdays.

Good luck, and please do report back j.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Oh, and in case you didn't read it in the Digest, two Sundays ago, in the NYT travel section, Sarah Wildman wrote about Nantes and suggested eating at La Petite Epicerie, Tabl’o Gourmand, l’Atlantide + La Cigale. You might want to check the rest of the article out as well.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris