• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Poblano peppers

mrsadm

I like to make various Mexican dishes with roasted and peeled peppers. This is quite time consuming and I was thinking of freezing them (after the roasting and peeling). I'm wondering if this has been tried by anyone?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I like to make various Mexican dishes with roasted and peeled peppers.  This is quite time consuming and I was thinking of freezing them (after the roasting and peeling).  I'm wondering if this has been tried by anyone?

Absolutely. Just spread them out on a cookie sheet and stick in the freezer, then package the individually frozen peppers into bags. If you try to just freeze a bagful of peppers, you get one giant frozen lump o'pepper that's nearly impossible to use.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

And since everyone and their hermano in my town is processing their green chiles right now, and we all do 40 pound bushels to last us til next year...my additional tip to the above is that I package them in varying sized packages - 2 peppers, 5 peppers, 10 peppers and so on (not separated and allowed to freeze clumped) to be used accordingly. Obviously the 2s are for home meals for my spouse and I. The 5s get used for small dinner parties, the 10s are for fall soups and stews. We also will vary the amount of seed and membrane to vary heat somewhat (moderately effective technique). And as a friendly reminder - wear gloves and DON'T WIPE YOUR EYES! :shock: We've all made that mistake at least once.

BTW, I haven't done it enough to really vouch for it, but oil packing is good too for some uses.

I never peel roasted chiles when I buy my bushels ...just put them in a bag and freeze them with the skins on ...they peel very easy after you thaw them ...

I am not about extra work ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I never peel roasted chiles  when I buy my bushels ...just put them in a bag and freeze them with the skins on ...they peel very easy after you thaw them ...

Not to mention, if you peel/seed them prior to freezing a lot of the "liquor" (juice) gets away, and that stuff I can drink all by itself! Best to seed, peel and stem after they're thawed. And others mentioned also best not to freeze in a clump because they're a mess after thawing (unless they're already skinned and seeded).

And since everyone and their hermano in my town is processing their green chiles right now, and we all do 40 pound bushels to last us til next year...my additional tip to the above is that I package them in varying sized packages - 2 peppers, 5 peppers, 10 peppers and so on (not separated and allowed to freeze clumped) to be used accordingly.  Obviously the 2s are for home meals for my spouse and I.  The 5s get used for small dinner parties, the 10s are for fall soups and stews.  We also will vary the amount of seed and membrane to vary heat somewhat (moderately effective technique).  And as a friendly reminder - wear gloves and DON'T WIPE YOUR EYES!  :shock:  We've all made that mistake at least once.

BTW, I haven't done it enough to really vouch for it, but oil packing is good too for some uses.

Gfron1, I always wanted to be there for harvest! I understand the towns smell great for a few weeks. Can I ask you, when the big rotating cages that Marigene mentioned are used, do they hose down the cages (thus the chiles) while firing so that they'll cool and the cage will come out cleaner? I find when people do that, (the only time I had someone do it here in the Gilroy/Morgan Hill area south of San Jose) the juice is lost and the chiles don't taste as good when you use them...

I've never seen that done with the big commercial roasters or the personal ones. It would be too messy, because after immediately from the roaster - while piping hot, they are dumped into a pillow case or trash bag, tied off to steam, and taken home. If you added moisture... - eegad!

• 4 months later...
I never peel roasted chiles  when I buy my bushels ...just put them in a bag and freeze them with the skins on ...they peel very easy after you thaw them ...

Not to mention, if you peel/seed them prior to freezing a lot of the "liquor" (juice) gets away, and that stuff I can drink all by itself! Best to seed, peel and stem after they're thawed. And others mentioned also best not to freeze in a clump because they're a mess after thawing (unless they're already skinned and seeded).

This has worked like a charm for me. I had a bushel of them last summer (actually, a small bushel, perhaps a peck?) and a mess of jalapenos. So, as we were eating grilled food on the deck, I stuck the peppers on, and when I froze them, I put them on a half-sheet lined with parchment, into the freezer, and then into ziplocks. At the time, the idea of seeding and peeling that many was daunting, and oh my, do they peel and seed easily when partially frozen, plus you do get all of that lovely juice, and during these long winter days, I've got more time to take care of how many I need for dinner.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"