• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

has anyone tried "dippin dots"

chefb

Tommy.... are they just nasty or are they sufficiently disgusting? Inquiring minds want to know....

I believe these would be the same Dippin' Dots they have at one of my favorite annual culinary mecca's - the New York State Fair held late August in Syracuse NY (my hometown). This bizarre concotion has been there for many years with the questionable moniker "The Ice Cream of the Future". They've been selling it for at least ten years, which begs the question..;. eaxactly when is the future?

I dunno. I guess I'm in the minority in kind of liking them.

Obviously you can't do this so easily with the vending machines... but at the dippin' dots booths they will flavor mix for you. You can take little balls of vanilla and orange, for example, and make a kid of weird creamsicle.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

You can take little balls of vanilla and orange, for example, and make a kid of weird creamsicle.

Which brings me back, as always, to the favorite ice cream of my youth. It was sold by Neilson's in Canada at some of their roadside stands. It consisted of orange sherbet, vanilla ice cream and black licorice ice cream all swirled together. It was called Tiger Tail and despite the seemingly bizarre combination was incredibly tasty. Have never seen it anywhere since then (which was the late 60's).

My question is, why would anyone WANT to eat this, with all the great , real icecream out there???

In my book, it's not even classified as "food". It's on par with cotton candy...

please don't insult cotton candy like that. cotton candy has been around forever, will remain around forever, and is part of our culture. the dots just plain suck.

but yes, echoing your sentiment: you gotta have some set of balls to think you can improve ice cream!!

I just tried these small ice cream dots at the Jersey shore this weekend.  They were pretty interesting.  Anyone else??  where else can one find them??

I don't know where you are based, so i don't know if this helps. I've seen them in nyc movie theatres, and a mall in Long Island. I think it was rooevelt field, but don't quote me.

I ahve a friend that loves them...but he is one of my less descriminating (food wise) friends.....so him liking them isn't much of a recommendation. LOL

-Jason

Which brings me back, as always, to the favorite ice cream of my youth. It was sold by Neilson's in Canada at some of their roadside stands. It consisted of orange sherbet, vanilla ice cream and black licorice ice cream all swirled together. It was called Tiger Tail and despite the seemingly bizarre combination was incredibly tasty.  Have never seen it anywhere since then (which was the late 60's).

Chapman's makes Tiger Tail ice cream but it is just orange ice cream with a licorice ripple

original_tiger_tail_im.jpg

It was sold by Neilson's in Canada at some of their roadside stands. It consisted of orange sherbet, vanilla ice cream and black licorice ice cream all swirled together. It was called Tiger Tail and despite the seemingly bizarre combination was incredibly tasty.

oOOOOOOOOOh! That sounds truly icky! But then again I don't like licorice.

All this talk and now I want to scarf down some ice cream!

:rolleyes:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

I just tried these small ice cream dots at the Jersey shore this weekend.  They were pretty interesting.  Anyone else??  where else can one find them??

These dots are a favorite of my kids down at Point Pleasant Beach (NJ Shore). I must have spent at least $150 at the damn booth this summer. Must admit I did try them. They have a chewy consistency, and I can't say that I like any ice cream that I have to chew. My daughter also found them in a vending machine in a mall in Florida in April of this year. I'd like to see them try to put these dots on a waffle! Nothing beats good ole vanilla ice cream on a belgian waffle while walking the boards!:cool:

The weird thing about Tiger Tail ice cream is that it sounds so icky and tastes so good. I'm not a fan of licorice and never go out of my way to consume it for any reason. In this combination it's delicious (of course I was ten years old at the time.... it's possible that I'd re-evaluate if I tried it again).

• 4 months later...
have you tried that ice cream on a slate or something - I tried it out in SLC, Utah last year...

Yes, I had lots of the same - Cold Stone Creamery, Maggiemoo's - also in SLC last year - where they eat a seemingly inordinate amount of ice cream for such a cold climate - some say it's in reponse to all their other religious dietary restrictions. Quite good if not a bit pricey for but a good show nonetheless. All around the States now.

As for the dots, not bad, interesting sensation on the tongue, reminds me a bit of powdered sugar in how it quickly disappears, but not that good to me either.

Geez, McDonald's. And here we all scoffed.

Cold Stone Creamery

Thats where I went...not bad...not as great as they all seem to think it is...

You can take little balls of vanilla and orange, for example, and make a kid of weird creamsicle.

Whats the difference between a Dreamsicle and a Creamsicle? I always wondered that? :smile:

they have them in Movie theatres in Philly & I think I saw then in a movie theatre in Fairfield CT. I've tried them, aren't they little ice cream balls not freieze dried, they were differnt from the "astronaut ice cream" which was definately freeze dried

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Whats the difference between a Dreamsicle and a Creamsicle?  I always wondered that? :smile:

The inside of the Creamsicle is ice cream; the inside of the Dreamsicle is ice milk. This according to Cecil Adams, from his Straight Dope website.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_356a.html

They are available at The Westchester Mall in the food court in White Plains, NY. I suppose they are in a lot of the mall food courts since someone else said Roosevelt Field on LI and I have also seen them at The Palisades Mall in Nanuet, NY.

My kids LOVE them!