• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Playing with texture

martinlersch

Martin, I think crowdsourcing the photos for this collection is a great idea! There are some very accomplished amateur food photographers out there who will be able to make an enormous contribution to this. I'll have to have a look and see if there are any recipes I could do justice to, in terms of both the recipe itself and the photography. Good luck with this!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I think that's a pretty cool idea Martin. I don't think I could be much help though. I can handle doing the recipes but my photography skills are almost non-existent.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 months later...

Version 2.3 of the recipe collection is now available for download. The major change since version 2.3 is the inclusion of pictures. The pictures often give you an idea of the texture, and they're also a good indication that the recipe has indeed been tested. There are now approximately 310 recipes in total now.

And one more thing: You can still help me add more pictures to the recipe collection! You can find more information on how to contribute pictures in my post from January 5th.

Martin Lersch, PhD
Chemist and food enthusiast

Visit Khymos, a blog dedicated to molecular gastronomy and popular food science.

Follow me on twitter @tastymolecules

Thanks yet again Martin. I saw it on your site yesterday (you're in my blogroll, I check in regularly) and grabbed it already. I'm happy to see a new round of TGRWT announced as well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

tv30.jpg

Thought I'd let you know that a major revision of Texture is now available for download: http://blog.khymos.org/2014/02/15/texture-updated-and-available-for-download/

"Texture - A hydrocolloid recipe collection" (v.3.0) features:

• many new recipes, now counting 339 in total
  • more pictures (A big THANK YOU to all contributing photographers!)
  • a new chapter with non-hydrocolloid gels
  • a new table with viscosities of 1% solutions of hydrocolloids
  • many minor corrections throughout the recipes and appendix
  • conversion from US customary volumetric units in new added recipes done with Excel calculator available from http://blog.khymos.org/2014/01/23/volume-to-weight-calculator-for-the-kitchen/
  • Like 3

Martin Lersch, PhD

Visit Khymos, a blog dedicated to molecular gastronomy and popular food science.

I check in on your blog pretty regularly so I already grabbed it. Thanks again for putting them together.

Thanks - I'm glad you find it useful! When using Texture - consider taking a picture if you follow recipes without a picture. That way you can all help make Texture even better.

Martin Lersch, PhD

• 2 weeks later...