• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Wine Store - Fort Lee?

MinhD

Hi;

Not sure where the best fit for this question is, here or the drinks forum, but will try here first, moderator please bump me if inapropriate.

I'll be going to NYC next week for a 1 week vacation, but will be staying on the NJ side, specifically at the Hilton Fort Lee (right beside the GW bridge).

With that said, had two quick questions... first is where would the nearest and biggest wine store be (on the NJ side, not in manhattan)? I realize biggest doesn't mean best, but still looking for a very large store, hopefully with a huge selection where I can spend a few hours indulging. By nearest, I mean anything within 10 - 15 miles of the Hotel, the closer the better, but willing to drive for a really exceptional store.

Second, and less important, any really good restaurants nearby? Again looking on the NJ side, I already know where I want to eat in Manhattan.

Thanks in advance!!!

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/FTLF...Jersey/index.do

Come on people where is the Wine Library??

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I can't imagine any wine store close by that is bigger than the Total Wine right off Route 4 in River Edge. I would guess it is about 6 to 8 miles from Fort Lee.

From Route 4 East

Make a right at Hackensack Ave/River Edge exit. Go over Route 4 stay to right past Riverside Square. Go past Staples, make left on Main St. at corner using the jug handle. Store will be straight ahead at second light at the corner of Kinderkamack and Main.

Carlo Russo's Wine and Spirits World has two locations, one of which is in Fort Lee and run by Carlo himself. The other in Ho-Ho-Kus, I am personally more familiar with. It is an excellent wine store though not cavernous.

The locations:

Carlo Russo Wine and Spirits World: 102 Linwood Plaza, Fort Lee; (201) 592-1655

Hohokus Wine and Spirits World: 626 North Maple Ave., Ho Ho Kus; (201) 444-2033

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

if i'm not mistaken Carlo Russo closed the fort lee branch some time ago. the ho-ho-kus place is the only one left, and isn't very big.

as kape suggests, Total Wine in Hackensack is probably the best bet in the area.

while in hackensack go to Wondee's for some of the best Thai in the area, including NYC.

if i'm not mistaken Carlo Russo closed the fort lee branch some time ago.  the ho-ho-kus place is the only one left, and isn't very big.

as kape suggests, Total Wine in Hackensack is probably the best bet in the area. 

while in hackensack go to Wondee's for some of the best Thai in the area, including NYC.

You are likely correct as Carlo would be quite old. The Ho-Ho-Kus store isn't huge, but it is very good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Agree about Total Wine. Actually only about 4 miles straight down Route 4, and a very large selection with terrific prices. If you are looking for exotics, your trips to NYC could include Morrell and Sherry Lehman wine shops.

As far as NJ restaurants, the very few decent ones are off the beaten track and will be difficult to find if you are not from this area, Bergen has lots of back roads. Better to stick to the NYC restaurants.

P.S. Where are you going to drink this wine after you buy it?

The store that used to be owned by Carlo Russo is still there under new ownership , last I checked within the last several months. It is in the Linwood Plaza mall with Kings Supermarket. It is very big.

I prefer their wine selection to Total Wines.

Wine Library may be the best wine store in the metro NYC area, but it isn't close to Fort Lee.

If you are going into NYC, visit Sherry-Lehman, Acker Merrill, Morell's, Italian Wine Merchant and Burgundy Wine Company. I'm sure they are all on the net.

P.S. Where are you going to drink this wine after you buy it?

Since I'm from Canada, I plan on drinking some of it while on vacation and for the stuff that needs to be cellared for a few years, those I will bring back.

We're 4 people, so I'm allowed 8 (750ml) bottles...

:biggrin:

I checked and the Wine Library is about 50km from where I will be staying, but since I do watch the "show" quite often, I may just might make the trip for the hell of it.

Has anyone actually been to his store?? Good selection? Prices??

For those who like wine and don't know what I'm talking about...

http://tv.winelibrary.com/

http://www.slate.com/id/2171517/fr/flyout

I checked and the Wine Library is about 50km from where I will be staying, but since I do watch the "show" quite often, I may just might make the trip for the hell of it.

Has anyone actually been to his store??  Good selection?  Prices??

For those who like wine and don't know what I'm talking about...

http://tv.winelibrary.com/

http://www.slate.com/id/2171517/fr/flyout

Forget about Wine Library! Total Wine is about 6Km from your hotel, straight down Route 4. Total is a great place! Huge, huge selection of wines.

If you want exotics, (price no object) as I mentioned above, Morrell and Sherry Lehmann in NYC are worlds better than WL.

Morrell web site: http://morrellwine.com/

Sherry Lehmann site: http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/

(Edited to add websites)

Edited by menton1 (log)

Thank-you! Sherry Lehmann, I think I will make a detour while on the island to check that out too, even if it's just for some window shopping/drooling.

However, if they have some Sea Smoke... :wub:

I've been to Total Wines in West Orange and I have to respectfully disagree with Menton 1. I think that Wine Library has more good wines and a better selection of collectible wines.

Also, I have never met an informed sales associate at Total Wines in West Orange. Maybe it is a different story at the Route 4 store, but I doubt it. The staff at Wine Library is well informed and if they can't answer my question, they find someone who will.

As to our questioner, please go where you want.

Also, I was stopped from bringing wine on a plane in Vancouver, so I hope that you are driving back.

Has our Canadian friend tried wine from BC (Okanaga Valley)? I found them pleasantly surprising.

Yes I'm driving and yes I did have an issue with brining wine (alcohol to be precise) on a plane as well. It was packed away in my suitcase, that I was checking in (not bringing on board with me) and I was told I still couldn't have any. What I don't get is when filling out the paperwork, they still ask how much alcohol you're bringing back with you... I mean, if I can't bring it on board or with my luggage, how the hell do they expect me to bring it????

But I digress... No I haven't tried BC wines, I drink quite a bit of local wine, but mostly from the Niagara region.

I'm ashamed to say, but I'm kinda looking for trophy wines during this trip, stuff that I either can't find here or are considerably cheaper in the states.

Opus One or Sea Smoke being high up on the list...

I've been to Total Wines in West Orange and I have to respectfully disagree with Menton 1. I think that Wine Library has more good wines and a better selection of collectible wines.

Also, I have never met an informed sales associate at Total Wines in West Orange.  Maybe it is a different story at the Route 4 store, but I doubt it.  The staff at Wine Library is well informed and if they can't answer my question, they find someone who will.

We don't disagree, you did not read my posts carefully. I feel that WL is not worth the long drive, especially for a tourist. Total has a huge selection, and especially since this person intends to be in Manhattan, Morrell and Sherry blow away WL anyway.