• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Quintessential eG Food/Recipe

Kerry Beal

As I sat in emerg today, eating my rice with Suvir's Tomato Chutney for lunch, I got to thinking about the absolutely amazing tastes that I wouldn't ever have had the pleasure of discovering if I had never discovered eG. Of course I have to thank Anna N for pointing me towards most of them.

So today topping the list of recipes that mean eG to me is the Tomato Chutney - it is the bomb. Then there is toast dope, roasted cauliflower and Dorie's World Peace Cookies. I've lost 22 lbs thanks in part to Jensen's link to Armenian Lentil Soup on the Weight Watcher's thread.

So what recipes or foods say 'eG' most clearly to you?

Roasted cauliflower has been the single most influential eGullet Society food/recipe discovery for me. It is getting to be that season! :cool:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Definately the roasted cauliflower and the larb. The cauliflower lead me to the wonder of roasting all the other veggies, and the larb is just my "go-to" evening meal. Thank you all e-g'ers

Roasted cauliflower.

Fifi's Lard recipe. <...raises glass in remembrance of that fine lady...>

All the simple light recipes in the WW thread that helped me lose 40 lbs.

And the pork confit that kept me from losing 45. :raz:

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Pork butt

Dave's BBQ Shrimp from the Pig Pickin'

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The roasted cauli, guajolote's beet salad., and, of course Ah Leung's (hzrt8w) oeuvre.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If I had to pay a royalty for each thing I have learned from eG I would now be in debtor's prison!

Foodman's pita bread, Suvir's tomato chutney, larb in all its varities, roasted cauliflower, honey roasted parsnip soup and I am sure I am missing many more.

The best tip -- whack off the "knuckles" at the end of chicken/turkey legs! From horrible stringy tendon-laden muck to loverly plump dark meat and I get to use my cleaver. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I know I'm echoing others, but Roasted Cauliflower, Carnitas, and Jaymes' salsa.

Oh, and Smithy's creamed eggplant. Gads, I love that stuff.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Foodman gave me one of my favorite recipes, “Oil Preserved Stuffed Chilies” and now is the time for me to plan on making some more. I did have a jar get lost in the back of the fridge, and about a year later I pulled it out. The flavor was delicious, the peppers had mellowed.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!