• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riverside Farmers Market in Lyndhurst

jpr54_

OMG, we're getting a wine/liquor store!  Could it be that Lyndhurst is getting civilized?!?

I shop at the market Riverside Market quite often, and it amazes me that nothing is happening at that alleged wine shop. I mean, who is paying the rent on that empty space?

There is actually one good very wine store in Lyndhurst ("good" being relative to the rest of Lyndhurst). It is probably no coincidence that it is a stone's throw from the Rutherford border.

http://www.winepronline.com/

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

OMG, we're getting a wine/liquor store!  Could it be that Lyndhurst is getting civilized?!?

I shop at the market Riverside Market quite often, and it amazes me that nothing is happening at that alleged wine shop. I mean, who is paying the rent on that empty space?

There is actually one good very wine store in Lyndhurst ("good" being relative to the rest of Lyndhurst). It is probably no coincidence that it is a stone's throw from the Rutherford border.

http://www.winepronline.com/

i agree with u 100%

the 2 young men that r in store r friendly and helpful at all times

Joe's Java is being run by a former employee of The Fine Grind, whose parting was sudden and unhappy given the fact that the former employee was sent to some kind of barista school/convention just beforehand.

Source: current employee of TFG.

I haven't seen movement at the wine shop, but I think the coffee house is open. There's a lighted display case but I only saw it when it was dark. Could be more.

2nded on Wine Pro; they have a very good selection and their seasonal beer selection is OK, definitely better than the Shoprite liquor store.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

• 10 months later...

Went by Riverside Market today, planning to buy a whole bunch of stuff for a party tomorrow. Hadn't been there in a couple months. Place was dark. Big sign on the door, "Under Repair." Peered through the glass, the store is empty, nothing remains but bare shelves & 3 brand-new kids' bicycles right inside the doors.

I guess the recession got 'em. Pity, they were a reliable destination.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 2 weeks later...
Went by Riverside Market today, planning to buy a whole bunch of stuff for a party tomorrow.  Hadn't been there in a couple months.  Place was dark.  Big sign on the door, "Under Repair."  Peered through the glass, the store is empty, nothing remains but bare shelves & 3 brand-new kids' bicycles right inside the doors.

I guess the recession got 'em.  Pity, they were a reliable destination.

I had a similar experience, Ghost...but the gals in the nail salon say it's being reopened by new owners "in April." I also think I heard one of the customers say that the wine shop is going to be a wine bar or place w/apps as well as a store...?!? If it's true, that would be a nice addition to the area too. I see sporadic work in there.

In other news, yesterday I drove past the former site of Fortunato...the new sign says Pizza Margherita and something about "Old Fashion"

I give anyone opening a restaurant a lot of props, but signage with such glaring errors gives me great pause. Plus, do we really need MORE pizza in Lyndhurst? Only if it's like this--the real deal. But I'm skeptical. SIGH...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Went by Riverside Market today, planning to buy a whole bunch of stuff for a party tomorrow.  Hadn't been there in a couple months.  Place was dark.  Big sign on the door, "Under Repair."  Peered through the glass, the store is empty, nothing remains but bare shelves & 3 brand-new kids' bicycles right inside the doors.

I was disappointed because I shopped there all the time. But it was pretty obvious a couple of months ago that they would be closing, because they weren't getting any new inventory. And all this time, that liquor store has sat empty. Who's paying the rent?

Agree that we don't need another crappy pizza joint in Lyndhurst. There's already one on every corner, like sad little clones. Now the old Blockbuster by Shop Rite is turning into yet another pizza place. When will someone finally see the light and open a place that serves a decent pizza? Everyone I talk to in Lyndhurst is dying for one quality pizza place to open and everyone is aware that most of the pizza in town sucks. A good pizza joint like Brooklyn's Brick Oven Pizzeria in Hackensack would clean up around here.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 3 weeks later...

Update: There's still nothing happening in there as of today...

Really sad, esp because the idea of walking into any supermarket on the day before Easter is NOT appealing.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the recession got 'em.  Pity, they were a reliable destination.

I had a similar experience, Ghost...but the gals in the nail salon say it's being reopened by new owners "in April." I also think I heard one of the customers say that the wine shop is going to be a wine bar or place w/apps as well as a store...?!? If it's true, that would be a nice addition to the area too. I see sporadic work in there.

In other news, yesterday I drove past the former site of Fortunato...the new sign says Pizza Margherita and something about "Old Fashion"

I give anyone opening a restaurant a lot of props, but signage with such glaring errors gives me great pause. Plus, do we really need MORE pizza in Lyndhurst? Only if it's like this--the real deal. But I'm skeptical. SIGH...

It's yet another Italian Resto...like we need another one in Lyndhurst..

Friends were there the other night and said it was good.

• 2 months later...

Bump: The new iteration of the Riverside Farmers Market opened on Friday. I think it's called Green Farm Market, but I'll confirm the next time I drive past. The manicurist I use in the same building told me that the sushi bar inside the store is now separately owned--by a guy who really knows his sushi. That part isn't open yet and the store isn't 100% restocked, but other than some empty shelves, I wouldn't have known it had changed hands since the last time I was in there if I didn't know it for sure! Signs even look the same, and they're handwritten.

Baby bok choy was 1.29/lb

Asparagus 2.49 a bunch,

Baby bellas were 1.79

Zucchini .79/lb

If they maintain the same quality of produce as the previous owners, I'll be there twice a week again, as the Lyndhurst Shop-Rite's produce is hit or miss, depending on the day.

Also now open over there: the liquor store and (in place of Java's Brewin') a "sports cafe/bar" that has free valet parking at night. Haven't been to either.