• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riverside Farmers Market in Lyndhurst

jpr54_

I was pleasantly surprised by this new market which opened this week-

The owners r Korean-

the store has many items including flowers, sushi, fish, meat, fruit, vegetables, salads, etc

Where is it exactly? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Finally stopped in here today, and WOW, was I pleasantly surprised! First of all, it's much bigger than I expected. Secondly, it's immaculate, and third, the prices were incredibly reasonable. I didn't need to much, but left with some picture-perfect baby bok choy, red potatoes, and a few other minor items. The produce was beautiful--certainly a lot nicer overall than the Shop-Rite on some days, and as I said, the prices were great (i.e., the bok choy was 1.29/lb, iirc). Glad to have it in the neighborhood, and I'm sure I'll be even happier about it when there's a good snowstorm and I can walk there!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I must admit that I rarely cook fish any more (no more grill...snif), but I thought some of the fish (swordfish esp) looked a little past its prime in there. Then again, the squid was gorgeous! Go figure. You're reminding me that I didn't mention the fact that there's a full sushi bar ('tho closed while I was in there -it was after 3pm) and the packaged sushi looked VERY fresh. He had containers of seaweed salad as well.

I was really surprised with the overall selection in the store; the produce dept had HUGE Florida avocados, chayote (!), and a number of other unusual items that I just didn't expect to see in a place like that. There's also a wide variety of snacks, including a bunch of Japanese 'chips' that looked interesting. Rice crackers w/black sesames and the like. Definitely happy that I stopped in!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 3 months later...

I've been going to this market almost weekly for vegetables, and I have to say I'm thrilled to have this new option in the area; the produce has been consistenly fresh (from greens to potatoes to garlic), and the bargain prices just blow me away!

Last week I needed fresh rosemary; they had a plastic wrapped styrofoam tray of it--about 8 long stalks--and it was 99 cents. On New Year's Eve, I called my friend who was hosting a party to ask if she needed anything, and she mentioned she was going to Whole Foods for fresh basil. I went to the RFM and got an enormous bunch--again for 99 cents--and she was flabbergasted by the huge leaves, the freshness, and the amount I brought.

My Shop-Rite bill continues to go down... :smile:

Funny, I just came back from there and was going to post the same thing! I did take a good look in the seafood section...lots of fresh looking whole fish and the shrimp were beautiful. XLs were 12.99/lb, Large ones 8.99/lb. The frozen pre-cooked bags of shrimp were from Thailand. There wasn't anyone behind the counter (they have a bell to ring) but I thought everything looked (and smelled) fresh...check it out!

I stop in at this market a few times a week because it is right down the street. The overall quality and price, when compared to shop rite or other local supermarkets, is very good. You can't buy live fish like you can in many asian markets, and most of their fish inventory is already filleted, so you can't check the eyes and the gills, but the fish seems very fresh.

It's owned by Koreans yes, and you can see that in respectful way they treat the beautiful vegetables. But it's not a 'traditional' Korean/Asian market, they try to have a little bit of everything and appeal to a wide crowd. If you are looking for a special type of shrimp, you can try the Deep Sea Fishery a few blocks away. There was a post about this place some time back:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=93764

There are better spots to find individual items in this area sure, but for one-stop shopping 2 minutes from my house, I like this place. I can get really nice spinach and baby bok choy every day, something I have not been able to do since Lee's Grocery on Ridge Road closed down a few years ago.

I have noticed on several occasions where products like milk and eggs were PAST their shelf expiration date, so just check the labels when you buy any perishable items there. That's really my only negative so far.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I have noticed on several occasions where products like milk and eggs were PAST their shelf expiration date, so just check the labels when you buy any perishable items there. That's really my only negative so far.

Thanks for the heads-up, Batard! So far I've only purchased produce, dry goods, and a made-by-request panini (vs. the pre-made ones you get all over NYC). The people who work there are very nice, and it just seems to be busier each time I go in.

Fwiw, the whole fish that were in there last night had beautiful, clear eyes and looked very fresh, but it's worth checking.

OMG, we're getting a wine/liquor store! Could it be that Lyndhurst is getting civilized?!? :laugh: The sign definitely wasn't there last night; it's on the other end of the building from the Farmer's Market. Riverside Wines and Liquors.

I dunno, Wine Country is my local shop of choice; they have a wonderful craft beer selection. I'm not a wine guy, but they seem to have a seriously comprehensive stock on that front as well.

How big is the new place? I can't imagine there's tons of square footage in that lobby.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Definitely looks small. Don't get me wrong; I was thrilled when Wine Country came in last year, but this is within walking distance for me, and this end of town has had nothing until now, hence my excitement.

I still tend to go to Total Wine or Bottle King when I'm looking for wine...prices and selection are just much better than at the Lyndhurst WC, imo.

... they have a wonderful craft beer selection.  I'm not a wine guy, but they seem to have a seriously comprehensive stock on that front as well.

For beers, there is an even better beer collection at Rutherford Wine Shop, 270 Park Avenue, Rutherford. He's got everything Wine Pro does and lots more. Say "Hi" to Scott while you are there. The staff is great, and they really love talking about beers. If Scott is not there, talk to Vito. ;)

The guy who owns Win Pro is very knowledgeable about wines, and I always got to him when I need advice. If I am buying wine in any quantity, I usually shop over at Costco, where the selection and prices are very good.

I hope this new store going up in that Riverside complex is a little bit upscale ... the last thing Lyndhurst needs is another crappy liquor store. But it is true, there really is nothing happening down in that part of Lyndhurst. Nice to see that changing.

Edited by Batard (log)

Fergus Henderson

I hope this new store going up in that Riverside complex is a little bit upscale ... the last thing Lyndhurst needs is another crappy liquor store.

Couldn't agree more! And yes, MJP, I bet it's going to be small.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look in the window of the (eventual) wine and liquor store today; it's a lot bigger than I suspected, as it basically mirrors the main side of the RF Market! There is plenty of work left, though-the sheetrock isn't even up yet. And to the right of it is...drumroll, please...a nail salon. Fixtures (including the pedicure chairs) are already in, so it's just a matter of time until that opens.

• 2 weeks later...

Popped in here on Saturday on my way home from Costco in Clifton. Was looking for some Wild Salmon for dinner and stopped in to Deep Sea Fishery with no luck.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1525310

So I figured, given the raves above, was worth a shot and another 5 minute detour.

Agree with the above posts, solid produce, very inexpensive and a nice store. Boar's Head products in the Deli Counter and a pretty decent Fish selection. Whole Fish looked fresh, clear eyes and bright. Everything was kept wrapped and on ice. No fishy smell. Prices were reasonable for quality fish (I payed $14.99/lb for very nice Wild Salmon). Counter help was very nice -- cut exactly to order.

Probably not a special trip worthy for me, but as a 5 minute detour off of Rte 3, worth knowing about.

I finally figured out the optimal route for swinging by Riverside Farmers Market on the way home from my job & stopped by for the first time this afternoon.

Produce: I checked out the oranges, apples, lettuce, beans. Seemed comparable in price & quality to what's on offer at my local (Carlstadt) Stop & Shop. Rt. 17 Farmers Market still has a distinct edge on price, generally 20% - 30% cheaper. You have to look at what you're buying a bit more closely at Rt. 17, of course, since they buy in bulk.

Seafood: they seem to have Maine shrimp! I say "seem" because they had a tray of nice-looking shrimp labeled "Sweet Shrimp" for $4.99 / lb. They looked like the Mainers but that's all the info I got; there was never a person in the area the whole time I was there & I'd forgotten Curlz' admonition about the bell above & didn't see it at all. I wandered out into the deli area, hoping to find someone to ask, but the guys there were engaged in a shouting match with a wholesaler - OK, to be fair, the wholesaler was doing the shouting & the store guys seemed to be keeping their cool - so I just left since my questions would have been academic today.

Their seafood seemed to be priced similarly to Whole Foods' wares. The stuff looks nicer at WF but that's probably down to lighting & display; everything at Riverside looked good. WF's labels are much more informative.

I can see that this place would be a welcome addition to the area. I'll stop in when I have some time blocked out to cook Maine shrimp. I'll continue to do most of my shopping at Rt. 17 & WF.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 weeks later...

Craving some fish last night so worked a stop at Riverside into my post-workout route & got some flounder for $7.99 / lb, along with a few other goodies. The filet was curiously dry - very different from what you get at Whole Foods - is this a sign of having been frozen & thawed, or being from a different sort of "flounder", or just an older fish?

Anyway, it sauteed up very nicely & tasted fresh & sweet.

They also had something called "Basa Sole" for $5.99 / lb. Looked very nice but I thought I'd Google it first. Yikes! Is it Basa or is it Tra? What a conundrum.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

They also had something called "Basa Sole" for $5.99 / lb.  Looked very nice but I thought I'd Google it first.  Yikes!  Is it Basa or is it Tra?  What a conundrum.

I was there and bought the basa sole. When I looked it up I found this:

Real basa is Pangasius bocourti, one of 21 species belonging to the Pangasiidae family of catfish, which is found throughout most of Southeast Asia. Basa have been grown by Vietnamese and Cambodian fish farmers in cages along the Mekong River for decades.

I think it's a type of catfish. I pan sauteed it very simply to see what it would taste like, and it was light and delicious. So we've been eating that fairly regularly, it is a lot sweeter and cleaner tasting than domestic catfish. I'm going to make a fish souffle this weekend with it this weekend. It tastes too nice to fry up. :)

Edited by Batard (log)

Fergus Henderson

Quick anecdote. I was getting ready to sear some sashimi grade tuna the other night, when I realized I was out of ginger, sesame seeds, and I had NO dried bonito flakes to make my Ponzu sauce recipe. I had stupidly neglected to check my ingredients beforehand.

So now I am in trouble, the nearest Chinese market is pretty far from my house, and they are all closed by now. So I am in big trouble right? Where am I going to find bonito flakes at 7:30 pm in Lyndhurst?

You guessed it! The Riverside Farmers Market.

Fergus Henderson

• 2 months later...
OMG, we're getting a wine/liquor store!  Could it be that Lyndhurst is getting civilized?!?  :laugh:  The sign definitely wasn't there last night; it's on the other end of the building from the Farmer's Market.  Riverside Wines and Liquors.

Just a bump...while the nail place is now open (and not a moment too soon, b/c we certainly don't have enough of them around here), there doesn't seem to have been any movement in the liquor store since I last posted about it. There is a snowblower parked in there, along with piles of sheetrock and other construction stuff, but it's been sitting that way for a few months now. Has anyone heard anything about the place?

I also passed another new spot here in town today...Joe's Java on Ridge Road-across from Sultan Gyro. Don't know how new it is as I'm not on Ridge all that often, but maybe MJP or others have been...?