• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi robots in action

I'm thinking the larger super markets probably have one of these or outsource it. Maybe asking around at one of these you can find one. Those things look amazing.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I've only seen them at trade shows (in Tokyo). I'd be surprised if any place other than something like Blue C would be obvious about it (and I just don't go there because Chiso is right across the street); I don't know if Blue C uses them or not. What about the various Marineopolis locations (they all go by different names) or Todai?

I think Uwajimaya does most of the sushi preparation offsite now (though I'm not quite sure); perhaps they could arrange a tour if they're using that kind of equipment.

Are there any sushi restaurants in Seattle that use one of those sushi-making robots and places it so that customers can see it in action? This is very important.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Are there any sushi restaurants in Seattle that use one of those sushi-making robots and places it so that customers can see it in action? This is very important.

Marineopolis sushiland uses a machine that forms the rice for their gunkan style sushi, but you must be talking about a machine that does more than that. Right? Can you explain what the machine does

Here are some pretty good examples.

Roll Sushi RobotTSM98A

AC120V 60W ETL approved Size: W490 x D590 x H640mm

Weight: 45kg

No experience necessary and one can make SUSHI on the first day. Perfect for Take out Sushi Stores, Supermarkets, Catering. - Easy to operate and clean

- Compact tabletop design and ultra-lightweight

- Easy maintenance

- Speed per hour (Approximately)

For thin rolls (Hosomaki) 300 rolls/h

For California rolls (Chumaki) 220 rolls/h

For Thick rolls (Futomaki) 180 rolls/h

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

balomi, the machine you're talking about sounds like what I'm looking for. There are various types, but the simplest just makes rice balls. I will check it out. Are you talking about the one in Queen Anne? Thanks!

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

balomi, the machine you're talking about sounds like what I'm looking for. There are various types, but the simplest just makes rice balls. I will check it out. Are you talking about the one in Queen Anne? Thanks!

Whenever I look in the window at the SouthCenter costco their sushi robot is going like crazy, in fact I think I've seen it in other Costco's too....

cburnsi

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Island Sushi (upper scale conveyor belt sushi) in Fed. Way just opened last week. They had a sushi machine that makes the rice balls but not the rolls. They don't use it all the time though. You may want to call them to see the machine in action. This place totally copied Blue C, but it's actually better than Blue C so far.

They use Hikari premium rice for their sushi, run by Koreans but good quality sushi, very creative rolls. I saw the sushi roll making robot machine in Paris, at Lo Sushi. Costco also used to have it but it's no more. -Moose