• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Loaf Top Eveness

stscam

We have a restaurant customer who wants us to make challah loaves for his french toast. He'd like a loaf to yield as much as possible, so the question begs: is there a way to ensure a more even lengthwise top to the bread? He won't be using the heels, but still, he'd like to get as many consistently sized slices as he can.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea – try adjusting the water in the dough mix. When a loaf has a steeply domed top, you can increase the water by 10% or more, making the top less domed. Add too much water and the top will collapse and have a hollow (and less overall volume). There is a middle ground…

I think you need just a little more info from your customer. IMHO, there's two parts to a challah, the dough and the shape/appearance. If all he's concerned about is the dough/taste, then I agree with the suggestions that you get a pan to bake it in, making standard loaves. On the other hand, if he's looking for the shinny crust and maybe poppy seeds, I'd suggest a long braid. Deppending on your ovens and peels, you should be able to get a pretty long braided challah that will have a somewhat consistent shape with little waste at the ends.

I'm sorry, just re-read your heading. Obviously, if eveness means flat, a braid won't help. If you're trying to avoid a dome effect and you're looking for consistency, I think it will.

Edited by UnConundrum (log)