• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Mulino

sadistick

Howdy Folks,

Havent been around these parts much in the past few months...guess I can attribute that to this great weather we have been having!

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping my seat nice and warm for me! :raz:

My girlfriend and I went out to celebrate our second anniversary recently and our dining experience was so fantastic I wanted to share it with you...

I am not sure if any of you remember, but years ago, there used to be this Gem of a restaurant downtown called Barolo, an Italian restaurant run by a lovely couple, serving true authentic, absolutely delicious Italian cuisine.

I really do not go out to eat at Italian restaurants, as typically I can make pretty much everything they do myself. However, there is always an exception to every rule!

Anyhow, back on topic...Barolo closed a while back, and it saddened my family greatly, but luckily, the owners decided to open up Il Mulino. They created this fantastic space, which always makes me feel as if I am back in Italy.

So we went there for dinner last week, and as always, we were not dissapointed!

We started off by sharing 2 apps - We ordered one of their specials (they seem to have this quite often, as its always a huge hit) - Tuna Carpaccio - Amazingly fresh thin sliced tuna with citrus segments and a nice mix of greens, was amazing, the pink peppercorns and sea salt mixed with the sweet tuna and greens were perfect! I always order this dish when we go there. Second App was Grilled Calamari with a tomato sauce - The calamari was cooked to perfection, very soft, with great selection of herbs, and a very tastey sauce...

Unfortunetly, my Girlfriend was getting over being sick the past week, and her appetite was just not what it usually is, so I had to do most of the eating, and this limited me in the amount of dishes I could order...however, the two pastas which we shared, were to die for.

We first shared another special - Gnocci with a porcini sauce and wallnuts, this was superb, home made small gnocci simply melted in my mouth, with chunks (although I would have liked a few more...obviously! :laugh: ) of porcini, and pices of wallnut, worked really well together...The flavour was spot on.

Second Pasta, a smoked duck breast pasta with white truffle oil and wild mushrooms with some type of reduction...I salivate even as I type this, without a doubt, the BEST pasta I have *EVER* had....I kid you not, go just for this dish!

Dessert was a no go, as I was STUFFED and the girlfriend had more than enough...

Either way, if you have not been to Il Mulino....GO!

I would recommend it to anyone.

-Justin

Sounds good, Justin. What price point? And can you tell us about the wine list?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Funny you ask that Barbara, as I commented after the meal that it was extremely reasonable!

Appetizers did not exceed $12 (unless you went for the seared FG which was $19 I believe)

Pastas were anywhere from $22-26

They also had various types of Meats and Fish (also excellent as I have had in the past - ranging anywhere from $28-35)

Their wine list is truly something to behold. They have won the Wine Spectator award for their wine list numerous times...as they have a fantastic selection.

The other amazing thing is that they are willing to open almost any bottle for you if you wish to have just a glass or two, which is quite unique in itself.

I take it you have not been before?

I would love to hear others experiences as well.

Haven't been, Justin but after your review and the comments about the wine it's going on the list ASAP! Perhaps this weekend.....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Agree 100%. Been there a few times though not lately (a bit far for me), but I do recall that the Tuna Carpaccio was fantastic. This is, IMHO, one of the best Italian restaurants in town and would recommend it for anyone looking for great pasta.