• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Centro Vinoteca and Gusto?

emilymarie

Anyone been to Centro Vinoteca and have any reports? Should I visit?

And any recent reports on Gusto?

Am looking for some good W. Village Italian.

Thanks.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I went to CT last night. I thought the food was very good as was the sevice. We tried almost everything on the menu. The stand outs were the pork chop and the steak . There were also many beautiful peolpe there. Sitting next to me was Tyra Banks and one of the query guys. Sorry i can't be more detailed

I went to CT last night. I thought the food was very good as was the sevice. We tried almost everything on the menu. The stand outs were the pork chop and the steak . There were also many beautiful peolpe there. Sitting next to me was Tyra Banks and one of the query guys. Sorry i can't be more detailed

I was there last night too. I'm flattered that you mistook me for Tyra Banks.

I had a delightful meal at Gusto a week or so ago; Chef Amanda did a terrific job. Very good neighborhood restaurant. The vibe and food are of a neighborhood place. Not cutting edge or profound cooking, but excellent for a place in the 'hood.

I've had disappointing meals in both places. Nothing particularly delicious or remarkable at either one. At the new place we tried a bunch of appetizers and didn't finish any of them. I admit that I don't eat meat, perhaps it's only the veggies that are lackluster.

We shared a bunch of piccolini at Centro Vinoteca last night; sat at the bar, and although the service wasn't all it could have been (despite being a nice guy), we thoroughly enjoyed everything we tasted.

Mushrooms stuffed w/pork AND pancetta*

Roasted corn, pancetta and cherry tomato crostini

Truffled deviled eggs*

Rock shrimp in white wine/lemon/garlic

Corn and scallion fritters (we had ordered the zucchini/parmigiano fritters but received these, and since there are only a few on the plate, after we each had one it wasn't like we were sending them back)

A quartino of Toscana, and I was a very happy camper. :laugh:

Everything was delicious, the prices on these was ridiculously low, and I'll definitely go back to try more of the apps/piccolini--I'd rather dine that way than have a full meal anyway.

*Fantastic

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Went to Centro Vinoteca last night and, frankly, was underwhelmed. There's definitely a scene, but I wasn't a big fan of what they did with the interior (though to be fair, they're a bit limited with what they can do with that triangular space).

Had a couple items from the piccolini menu and enjoyed the mortadella pate more than I thought I would. The oxtail cake from the primi menu was nice, as was the stuffed rabbit from the secondi section. From what I saw on neighboring tables, the pastas look well done. So no real complaints about the food, though I felt they lacked a little bit of something.. soul, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

ate at Centro Vinoteca last night.

had a couple piccolini.

the pancetta stuffed mushrooms were predictably good.

fried cauliflower was bland and the dipping sauce didn't do much.

deviled eggs with truffle oil were beyond boring.

oxtail cakes were pretty good...came with some sort of mostardo. I'd recommend this dish. the accompanying fennel worked.

calamari "noodles" were too chewey and their broth was pointless.

the bucatini all'amatriciana was quite good...though I don't think it'll put fear into Lupa anytime soon.

a fair amount of wines by the quartino...if pretty much the same ones you can find elsewhere.

I'd eat here again but I wouldn't travel for it. it's not better than Morandi....though having the piccolini menu does make it an excellent option for a glass of wine and a snack.