• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starchefs 2nd International Chefs Congress

docsconz

Here is the link to discussion of last year's Congress.

The line-up for this year's Starchefs Second International Chefs Congress in NYC looks to be at least as exciting. That along with what I have been told is a fabulous new venue should make for another spectacular event. Grant Achatz remains on the schedule though it would certainly be understandable if he were unable to attend.

The main stage live cooking demos remain a major part of the program, but new this year is a greater emphasis and availability of Hands-on workshops. NYC, U.S. and international chefs are all very well represented. International luminaries include heavyweights such as Joel Robuchon, Gualtiero Marchesi, Elena Arzak, Dani Garcia, Oriol Balaguer, Andoni Luis Aduriz, Seiji Yamamoto, Alex Atala, Carmen Titita Ramirez Degollado and Shannon Bennett. The domestic contingent is no less illustrious.

A special focus will be on school lunch programs and what can be done to improve them.

The Congress culminates in the New York Rising Stars Dinner on the 18th serving "street food" made by this years NYC Rising Star Chef Honorees.

The Sponsor List reads as a who's who of top notch food equipment producers and vendors. Of course, there will also be a Products Fair.

Will anyone be attending in order to witness a demo or attend a hands-on workshop by any specific individual or individuals? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who to focus on, although Grant Achatz will certainly be a priority should he be there. I hope so because it will be an indication that he is likely doing well and it will also be a chance for him to be honored the way he deserves.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

'doc,

Are you going to be documenting again?

Hoping so!!!

Best

Ted

Planning on it. :smile:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Barber has replaced Grant Achatz on the schedule of presentations. Dan's presentation is titled "From Plate to Farm." You read that correctly.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, Harlan. I am looking forward to your photos as well.

Briefly, the show was incredible. I will have a lot of photos and commentary to come, though due to the sheer volume it will take some time to put together.

Some highlights include the energetic and inspiring presence throughout the congress of Chef Grant Achatz, who said the "he regretted canceling his presentation, but is looking forward to doing it next year"; the ingenuity and creative brilliance and soul of chefs come from afar like Seiji Yamamoto of Ryugin in Tokyo, Alex Atala of D.O.M. in Sao Paolo, Brazil and Shannon Bennett of Vue de Monde in Melbourne, Australia; European heavyweights like Joel Robuchon, Andoni Aduriz, Elena Arzak, Dani Garcia, Oriol Balaguer and Gualtiero Marchesi; and many of America's top chefs. I will do my best to do justice to this event that was fabulous for the sheer concentration of culinary greatness in one venue as well as the comradery and exchange of ideas and techniques that permeated the Congress.

Twitter - @docsconz

docsconz, i am waiting with bated breath for your photos and commentary. sounds like there was quite a crowd there.

alex and aki of Ideas in Food mentioned your presence on their blog, so hopefully you'll post some photos of the pacojet competition as well.

thanks for the time and effort you're spending on all of this. we live vicariously through your experiences.

best,

alana

The Congress left me with a lot to work with. I have been busy going through photos, notes and recordings. It will be difficult to do the event justice.

Twitter - @docsconz

John..It was nice meting you at the congress (Eric from Hobart). The congress presentations were amazing, and you were everywhere. I check back daily waiting for your post. Based on what I saw, you must have thousands of photos to weed through. Good luck...and hurry!!

John, did you get a chance to see Michael Cimarusti from Providence restaurant?? Michael was telling me that he had a wonderful time in front of all those chefs, including Robuchon, the chefs from Spain, ...

Take your time with putting all the photos together, John, but HURRY UP PLEASE!! :wink::wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

John, did you get a chance to see Michael Cimarusti from Providence restaurant?? Michael was telling me that he had a wonderful time in front of all those chefs, including Robuchon, the chefs from Spain, ...

Take your time with putting all the photos together, John, but HURRY UP PLEASE!!  :wink:  :wink:

I hope to have the beginning of my report up today :wink: I appreciate everyone's patience. :smile:

When I post, it will be in a separate topic located in the Restaurant Life Forum in that he topic goes well beyond New York. I will post the initial link in this topic. For anyone else who was there (and i know that there were many of you :wink:) I will appreciate your insights and contributions as well as I was busy taking pictures most of the time. :biggrin:

I did indeed have the pleasure to see and meet both Chef Michael Cimarusti and Chef Adrian Vasquez from Providence. I also had the pleasure to eat an outstanding rock lobster dish of Chef Cimarusti's at a Starchefs dinner Sunday night.

townsend, you are correct about the fish tank aerator. I believe that they used it with a soecial tall conical container that they adapted themselves. I will post a photo(s) later.In the meantime, you can get an idea of a more primitive approach to it here when it was presented at a workshop during Spain and the World Table at CIA's World of Flavors Conference last November.

Twitter - @docsconz

My report on the 2nd annual Starchefs International Chefs Congress can be found here. Please defer any further comments about this Congress to that topic.

Twitter - @docsconz