• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max London's Restaurant - Saratoga

docsconz

The long and much anticipated restaurant of Max London, young and talented former chef at Eartha's and son of bread and pastry legends Michael and Wendy London, is nearly a functioning reality. Click here for Max's restaurant blog with construction photos to monitor progress. The restaurant is situated directly adjacent to Mrs. London's Cafe, home of arguably the finest patisserie in the U.S. In their March 2007 issue, Saveur magazine called Michael London, "possibly the best baker in America." I for one, haven't had better.

Though it will not be open before the end of this track season, they are hoping for a late September or October start-up date. That should give them plenty of time to work out any kinks before next summer's track season.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, Mrs. Londons has great stuff but after several years of very rude service, I have sworn never to go back.

I'm surprised since I have never experienced that there. Do you go other than track season? Track season would not be a justification, but it would be an explanation as Saratoga gets crazy and stressed out then. I prefer the town at any other time of year.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, Mrs. Londons has great stuff but after several years of very rude service, I have sworn never to go back.

I'm surprised since I have never experienced that there. Do you go other than track season? Track season would not be a justification, but it would be an explanation as Saratoga gets crazy and stressed out then. I prefer the town at any other time of year.

Never been other than track season.

Yes, I understand the stress level goes way up in August but have always been treated great at Chez Sophie, Springwater Bistro, Wine Bar and even Sergio's.

Had very pleasant servers this week at Hatties and PJ's.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

• 1 month later...

Is Max's open yet? I am heading up to Saratoga the first weekend of November and have 1 free night for dinner out - It's been about two years since I have been in the area. Are there any changes I should be aware of? Last visit, we did Spring Bistro and Chez Sophie. Are these still the best dining choices?

Is Max's open yet?    I am heading up to Saratoga the first weekend of November and have 1 free night for dinner out - It's been about two years since I have been in the area.  Are there any changes I should be aware of?    Last visit, we did Spring Bistro and Chez Sophie.  Are these still the best dining choices?

It is not open yet, but hopefully will be open by then. I am eagerly awaiting it based upon his previous work at Eartha's.

Springwater Bistro and Chez Sophie remain excellent options. Another favorite of mine is Beekman Street Bistro for seasonal, local (mostly and more than any other Saratoga restaurant) American fare. Karavalli is an excellent choice for upscale Indian.

Twitter - @docsconz

I knew I could count on you to point me in the correct direction - Everytime I am up in that area, your referrals have always been right on.  Thanks!

PS.  I understand that Chez Sophie has moved since I was last there???

Chez Sophie has moved. It is now in the Saratoga Hotel which is on your left as you enter Broadway coming from exit 15 of the Northway. It is a bit more sophisticated and perhaps slightly less charming than the old location. It is north of Max's on the same side of Broadway.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

I was by there today and spoke with the London's. The place is looking very nice and it is clearly very close to opening. Their target is now mid-December.

Twitter - @docsconz

December 4 had been scheduled for the opening. Has that date been pushed back?

Probably by a week. It does look really close though right now.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a pre-opening party there last night. They are poised for some big things. The space is great and the food will be contemporary Mediterranean meets Upstate NY with a mix of tapas, pizze and a changing array of main courses. Much of the product sourcing will be local. Plans are to do a lot of in-house charcuterie with Flying Pigs Farm pork. If the tapas and pizze served last night are any indication, the quality will be superb. Highlights included Flying Pigs Farm pork belly cooked in the combi oven for 14 hours, Spanish style garlic shrimp, arrancini, various Neapolitan style pizze made in their wood-fired pizza oven, shrimp & chorizo croquetas, chick-pea fries and a variety of Mrs. London's desserts. Michael London, arguably the nation's best baker according to Saveur Magazine, will be making breads specially for the restaurant, while Mrs. London's will provide many of the decadent desserts. The wine list will be extensive from mostly France, Spain and Italy and according to Michael London very reasonably priced. Their beer list will be just as interesting according to Max London. Speaking of wine, the men's room is wall-papered with wine labels of wines personally consumed by the Londons. This promises to make long waits as the occupants are likely to spend considerable time perusing the interesting display.

For now they will be open for dinner from Tuesday through Saturday with plans to add weekend brunch sometime after the new year. The phone # for the restaurant is (518) 587-3535. It is located adjacent to Mrs. London's on Broadway in Saratoga.

Twitter - @docsconz

Max London's and Mrs. London's were featured this past week in a NY Times article on babka.

Michael and Wendy London named their dog Babka.

“He just was shaped like one,” said Mr. London who, with his wife, runs Mrs. London’s in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., often listed as one of the best bakeries in America. The Londons will be serving babka at brunch at Max London’s, a restaurant and bar they are opening next to the bakery next week. In Manhattan, Sarabeth Levine is making the Londons’ recipe this month at Sarabeth’s Bakery at the Chelsea Market and at Sarabeth’s Kitchen at 1295 Madison Avenue.

Twitter - @docsconz