• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is ceviche?

mrsadm

In the Philippines, we have our own version of the cerviche, called kinilaw. Spanish, portuguese and mexican tradesmen/sailors have brought the dish to my country during the galleon trade in the 1600's. There are different versions of the kinilaw, from simply cleaning and marinating the fish in cane vinegar to the addition of coconut milk. Kinilaw can be made from tuna, cod, flying fish (my mom's favorite), even big anchovies (my favorite). Of course, the anchovies are beheaded, gutted and filleted.

For my mom's recipe for kinilaw, I'd like to share Robyn's link to her blogsite EatingAsia. She and her hubby had the fortune of having my mom prepare kinilaw for them. The Kindness of Strangers (Kinilaw recipe included)

For me, kinilaw is best eaten with grilled pork chops or pork ribs and steamed rice. By the beach, with your hands.  :wub:

Thanks for that. I used to live in the Philippines and remember well the kalamansi. When we moved to Tucson, I asked at our local nursery if they had ever heard of them and was told that in the US, those delicious small citrus fruits are called calamondin oranges. So I grew two bushes in order to have a ready supply.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, I am so envious of you. Kinilaw is not kinilaw without the very important addition of calamansi. Here in Korea, I'd had to settle for calamansi in powdered form or just plain lemon or lime juice. Wish I had a big plant like what we had back in Manila and just harvest the fruit when we need it for kinilaw or the ever present dip of soysauce and vinegar+calamansi.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Jaymes, I am so envious of you. Kinilaw is not kinilaw without the very important addition of calamansi. Here in Korea, I'd had to settle for calamansi in powdered form or just plain lemon or lime juice. Wish I had a big plant like what we had back in Manila and just harvest the fruit when we need it for kinilaw or the ever present dip of soysauce and vinegar+calamansi.

Are you sure you can't grow one there? I've grown various citrus plants all over the world. You might have to take it inside in the winter, but I'll bet you could grow one. Next time you go home, take a couple of the fruits back with you. God knows they have plenty of seeds!!

They're really pretty plants as you know. In the US, they're sold as "ornamental citrus," and as a houseplant in cooler climates. I was told by a nurseryman that "nobody grows them for the fruit because it's so small - the plants are popular because they're pretty and smell nice and they're easy to grow."

I'd recommend you give it a try. Whacha got to lose?

Calamondin Orange

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Are you sure you can't grow one there? I've grown various citrus plants all over the world. You might have to take it inside in the winter, but I'll bet you could grow one. Next time you go home, take a couple of the fruits back with you. God knows they have plenty of seeds!!

They're really pretty plants as you know. In the US, they're sold as "ornamental citrus," and as a houseplant in cooler climates. I was told by a nurseryman that "nobody grows them for the fruit because it's so small - the plants are popular because they're pretty and smell nice and they're easy to grow."

Calamondin Orange

They are very hardy, in Australia they have been grown for years under the name of "Kumquats", now that true Kumquats are being sold they are marketed as "Australian Kumquats". The make superb marmalade.

Calamondin Orange

They are very hardy, in Australia they have been grown for years under the name of "Kumquats", now that true Kumquats are being sold they are marketed as "Australian Kumquats". The make superb marmalade.

Now that I think back, I had gone into that nursery trying to ascertain if calamondin was the same thing as calamansi and when I asked the fellow if the calamondin plant got fruit he first said, "Yes, but it's not edible." I said, "Not edible?" and he said, "Well, I guess it's edible but nobody eats it, it's too sour."

I told him if they were the fruit I thought they were, they were delicious when used like lemons and limes. In the Philippines, the people make calamansi-ade...like lemonade and limeade.

And ceviche, of course.

Are they used at the green or orange stage in Korea? They are commonly used in Nonya cooking in the green state like this. A lot of english language books translates them as "limes", which they don't really taste like and causes problems with the recipes due to the difference in size of the two fruits ("use the juice of five limes" for instance).

gallery_1643_4514_540271.jpg

Now that you guys mention that calamansi can be grown in countries that have 4 seasons, I'll have my dad mail me calamansi seeds for me to grow and propagate here. I'll be planting mine in a big jar and letting it stay out in the veranda. We live on the 9th floor of this apartment building and have no community gardens below.

Calamansi has always been used in its green state. If you look at my first post in this topic, the picture in the article/blog link, the calamansi slice is definitely green. For the Philippine cerviche (kinilaw), the calamansi is added to the kinilaw before it is served. It is important to strain the seeds out of the juice when one sprinkles it over the kinilaw dish.

Calamansi... is the juice made into a hot beverage in the Phillippines? If so, there was a wonderful waiter in Manila who cured me of one of the worst colds in my life by serving me a constant supply during a business dinner. It was very tart and hit the spot for my poor aching throat.

I'd bet they'd be a great part of a good ceviche.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Yes, calamansi toddy has always been a staple cure for those afflicted with a bad cold or flu. It goes down so easy when you have a sore throat and always seem to feel like it is really curing it. I miss hot calamansi drinks and also cold ones. Cold calamansi lemonade are always a staple of school parties when I was growing up.

And like I said, the cerviche rocks when it is finished with a squeeze of calamansi over the dish. :wub:

Calamondin Orange

Adam, are you telling me the delicious kumquat marmalade you made me was not from real kumquats but some Australian imposter? Actually I don't like the real things and can't imagine they would make anything as good as your marmalade.

Why is it so popular now?

Because it's easy to make, it tastes good and it's a healthy dish. I also appreciate the fact that as an appetizer it's much lighter than many of the other choices long popular in the US market.

hi guys, 1st post. quick question.

how long can the fish sit in the lime juice? i know the minimum ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, but if it sits for 12 hours or so, is it going to break down the fish or mess up the flavor? i was thinking about taking a batch with me to work and prepping it the night before.

thoughts?

hi guys, 1st post.  quick question.

how long can the fish sit in the lime juice?  i know the minimum ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, but if it sits for 12 hours or so, is it going to break down the fish or mess up the flavor?  i was thinking about taking a batch with me to work and prepping it the night before.

thoughts?

I think it must also have something to do with what kind of fish you use. When we lived in Panama, there was a restaurant that made great ceviche. We used to buy it in large gallon jars (and I'm not kidding). It took my family of five about three days to get through that jar. And frankly, we couldn't tell any difference from first bite to last.

The style of ceviche, and amount of time considered optimal, varies from country to country, and even from region to region.

Here in New Zealand we make a variety of Ceviche which is a national dish from Tahiti and called by the French name, Poisson Cru. There is the usual lime juice/scallions/coconut cream with the addition of finely sliced celery, tomato and finely diced red and green capsicum ( bell pepper). Some also add carrot to the mix. The difference here is that the fish ( most often pristine fresh tuna) is marinated very briefly in the lime juice then it is drained off and other ingredients added. The fish then, needs to be very fresh indeed and frozen, as someone upthread mentioned, just would not do.

Spring has nearly sprung so this popular dish will be consumed in vast quantities again very soon! :smile:

Here in New Zealand we make a variety of Ceviche which is a national dish from Tahiti and called by the French name, Poisson Cru.  There is the usual lime juice/scallions/coconut cream with the addition of finely sliced celery, tomato and finely diced red and green capsicum ( bell pepper). Some also add carrot to the mix. The difference here is that the fish ( most often pristine fresh tuna) is marinated very briefly in the lime juice then it is drained off and other ingredients added. The fish then, needs to be very fresh indeed and frozen, as someone upthread mentioned, just would not do.

Spring has nearly sprung so this popular dish will be consumed in vast quantities again very soon!  :smile:

I'm jealous.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I learned to make ceviche 26 years ago when I lived in Panama .. I was so lucky to be able to have an abundent supply of fish to make it with ..but corvina was the single best fish I still think

I am a purist and only make it and serve it one way ..the way I learned

with freshly squeezed Caribbean lime juice, sweet onion and scotch bonnet peppers

you have to scrape or shave the fresh fish into a bowl and leave over night

serve on saltine crackers with beer

any other way just isn't the same to me

since I have lived in WA I have indeed made it with some very fresh Copper River salmon

it was fantastic

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

hi guys, 1st post.  quick question.

how long can the fish sit in the lime juice?  i know the minimum ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, but if it sits for 12 hours or so, is it going to break down the fish or mess up the flavor?  i was thinking about taking a batch with me to work and prepping it the night before.

thoughts?

I always leave it over night and have done exactly that taken it to work the next day

Piglet 

I learned to make ceviche 26 years ago when I lived in Panama .. I was so lucky to be able to have an abundent supply of fish to make it with ..but corvina was the single best fish I still think

I am a purist and only make it and serve it one way ..the way I learned

with freshly squeezed Caribbean lime juice, sweet onion and scotch bonnet peppers

you have to scrape or shave the fresh fish into a bowl and leave over night

serve on saltine crackers with beer

any other way just isn't the same to me

Boy, you and me both. The restaurant from which we hauled out ceviche by the gallon-jugsfull was Restarante de las Americas. Do you know it?

I asked a fishmonger in the US about corvina, and he said it was a type of sea bass, so that's what I use here, when I can find it crazy fresh. Freezing or parboiling does affect the final texture negatively, I think.

Here's the recipe our cook used and with which I have had considerable success:

Ceviche Panamá

Fresh fish -- white firm (corvina if you can get it)

white or yellow onion, chopped

4 hot chiles (whatever you like, jalapenos are easy to find) to taste, finely chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped (and you can use any mild pepper, but bell peppers are easy to find)

scant 1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers (can use jarred pimentos)

fresh limes, just about as many as you can squeeze, to cover fish

1/4 C white vinegar

1/4 C olive oil

1/2 tsp oregano, lightly toasted and rubbed between your palms

salt and pepper to taste

Skin, bone, and chop fresh fish into small bite-sized pieces. Place in glass bowl and add fresh lime juice to cover. Add vinegar, oil, oregano, S&P.

Seal bowl and place in refrigerator to "cook."

When fish flesh is firm, serve with saltines. Condiments: bottled hot sauce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, etc.

Can serve on tostados.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I think I do remember that place! ...we have tailgated each other all over for sure!!!

I think a lot of fish is called "sea bass" and really I am at this point not sure other than the chilean sea bass what I am getting when I order/buy sea bass I have gotten to the point I just pick fish out and try it most of the time because depending where I buy in what part of the country it is called something else...I have seen corvina in Florida Mahi Mahi aka Dolphin fish is good as well for this dish ..

in addition to the above about the texture changing ..that is the point with ceviche it is supposed to be a "cooked" like texture! it is "cooked" in the lime juice you dont want ti sashimi like you want the texture you get from marinating or pickleing it overnight ..

at least that is how I know the dish

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

The only kind of ceviche I've had is a shrimp based one. Shrimp, tomato, cucumbers, onions and a touch of citrus... yummy.

If the lime juice doesn't kill the parasites, why is it ok to eat shrimp cerviche?

I always thought shrimp were one of those things you should never eat raw... are raw shrimp generally ok to eat?