• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy the best chocolates?

Terrasanct

I wish that DePaula Confections in Portland could help you out but we just returned from vacation and won't be re-stocked until next week.

How about Recchiuti in San Francisco.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

You have lots of choices. Depends a bit on what you are looking for. I believe the companies I'll suggest all are good, how good is really a matter of taste.

If you are looking for something stunning visually here are some good choices:

Christopher Elbow

Norman Love

Anna Shea

Here are some others that are also very attractive but more traditional in appearance:

Garrison Confections

Thomas Haas

The others listed are also good choices. Good luck!

My sister-in-law is having a major birthday, and my husband forgot that it is tomorrow.  I'm hoping to find her some very nice chocolates that I can buy online and send overnight to California.  Any ideas?

Edited by Truffle Guy (log)

The place you suggested looks very good.  So do yours--I'll have to check out your shop when I'm in Portland next month.

Thanks, Terrasanct! :biggrin: Unfortunately, I do not currently have a brick-and-mortar storefront; however, I do sell online as well as supply chocolates to some local Portland businesses.

If you're coming to PDX, you should make a point to stop by Cacao just south of Burnside at SW 13th (across the street from Whole Foods). They're probably the best chocolate destination in Portland and have a great selection of chocolates (including yours truly) and chocolate bars. Plus the owners, Jesse and Aubrey, are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. They can help guide you in your selections.

Do try the Theo Chocolate(s) as well - they make chocolate bars as well as chocolate bonbons.

Come to think of it, Cacao may also do shipping. If it isn't too late, give them a call...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

My sister-in-law is having a major birthday, and my husband forgot that it is tomorrow.  I'm hoping to find her some very nice chocolates that I can buy online and send overnight to California.  Any ideas?

Rechiutti is my absolute FAVORITE! Go with them!

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this thread up so I can ask John a question about his chocolates--I'm wanting to order some for myself; what would you suggest for a good assortment? I didn't have time to stop anywhere when I was in Portland in October, but I'll have to stop by your shop next time.

Oh, and my SIL loved the Rechiutti, by the way.