• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Root Beer, making

jongchen

This months Saveur has a recipe for making root beer at home Recipie

It looked interesting enough so I obtained the necessary supplies and brewed up a batch. 4 days later I open a bottle and give it a try. It does not taste like any root beer that I've ever had before. Sasprilla taste, yes. But it isn't very sweet and has a very powerful molasses taste with a slightly medicinal finish.

I don't really like the taste of molasses. I'm thinking of making the recipe again but with straight cane sugar instead of the molasses. Does anyone know where/how I should begin the substitution process? The recipe had 2 cups of molasses. Should I try 1 cup of sugar?

Unless you just happen to like the thought of making root beer with all natural ingredients, there is a much easier way to make it using Root Beer extract. Many grocery stores carry this extract, usually found near things like vanilla extract. If you can't find it at the grocery store, find your local home beer and wine making store, they will have soft drink extracts.

With an extract it is as easy as making a simple syrup and adding the extract. To naturally carbonate in the bottle, you will follow the same steps as in the Saveur article, bottle with some yeast and let the yeast do its thing for a while to carbonate the bottle.

Now, if you have access to 5 gallon cornelius kegs and a CO2 bottle, the process is even easier! I heat enough water to dissolve 4 pounds of sugar, once the sugar is dissolved pour that into a 5 gallon keg, add the contents of the bottle of extract, (I use Zatarains), shake to disperse the extract, top up to 5 gallons with cold water, hook up the CO2 and force carbonate to about 30psi, cool if you have fridge space, and within 1.5 to 3 days the root beer should be carbonated enough that you can dispense and enjoy. Be sure to back the CO2 off from 30 to about 7 psi to serve!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

A brief caution when dealing with root beer extract- the flavor and odor will permeate plastics it comes into contact with in short order. Use glass and ceramics for rootbeer projects, unless you want to be tasting and smelling rootbeer in everything else that goes into the vessel for a long time to come.

If you're using the Cornelius kegs, invest in a dedicated rootbeer-only quick disconnect, beverage line, and cobra tap.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

You may or may not care; but, if you are making Root Beer from the Sassafras Root that you get at the herb store or on the internet, it may contain a substance the FDA considers carcinogenic.

The use of Sassafras root bark was banned in the 60s because of it often contains potentially hazardous amounts of Safrole.

Commercial Root Beer extracts should be made using Safrole free Sassafras extract.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

It is labeled carcinogenic, and it may well be, but sassafras is illegal to sell because it contains a precursor to certain amphetamine-type drugs. You can dig it up, but the FDA and the DEA might want to have words with you if you try to sell it in any quantities.

For more fascinating info, google "safrole MDMA".

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 4 weeks later...

My recently completed experience with the Saveur recipe was similar, yet worse. I got the strong molasses flavor and the medicinal sense, but also no carbonation. Perhaps more yeast added at a higher liquid temperature would help. At least one person who tried the stuff liked it and she went home with a liter. I plan to try the remainder as weed killer.