• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat cuts for Bratwurst

majkeli

The cheaper the better. Certainly not lean cuts. Remember that sausage-making began with using scraps of meat (and fat and connective tissue) that otherwise couldn't be utilized efficiently. If you're not butchering your own animals and making use of scraps, I would imagine that among the more commonly available cuts, shoulder (butt on pork) and neck meat would be best. Just be sure to have an adequate amount of fat in the mix. That varies with taste, but I would think 25-30 percent by weight in the raw mix would work; some pork-based sausages designed for cooking are up to 35 percent fat before hitting the heat. Since fresh pork shoulder is only about 15-17 percent fat and veal considerably leaner, make sure to add enough extra fat to reach the desired percentage. To my taste, using too little fat is worse than using a little too much because it creates a dry, tougher product.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Pork butt and back fat are easy to come by, but would I be able to get a veal shoulder? The best butcher around here went out of business, and the only one left within 30 miles is run out of the butcher's house and his selection is quite limited. I suppose he could order a veal cut for me. If not I may be shopping for this at Costco, is there some common cut I could substitute for veal neck or shoulder?

Thanks for the help!

Soup is good food.

Don't go crazy trying to find the veal. Make it all pork. Maybe you can find a veal breast; depending on the neighborhood, they are either cheap or mid-priced. (Around my neighborhood they're in demand, so they aren't exactly an inexpensive cut, but still offers decent value.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report