• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cakesters

FabulousFoodBabe

I don't know what bugs me most: that they've done this to a noble American brand, or that they named it Cakesters.

Why would anyone buy one of these instead of a Drake's or Little Debby? What were they thinking?

Has anyone eaten one? I'm torn between wanting to know what I'm griping about, and being worried that I might like it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I don't know what bugs me most: that they've done this to a noble American brand, or that they named it Cakesters. 

Why would anyone buy one of these instead of a Drake's or Little Debby?  What were they thinking? 

Has anyone eaten one?  I'm torn between wanting to know what I'm griping about, and being worried that I might like it.

Haven't tried them, but I think we should reserve judgement before we complain (although I'm not a big fan of mint stuff Oreos or chocolate stuff Oreos or big stuff Oreos.

I've had them. Someone at work gave them to me and I scarfed them down in lieu of lunch. They don't taste very Oreo-like. Instead, they are indeed more like a Hostess cake product than anything else.

Haven't tried them, but I think we should reserve judgement before we complain (although I'm not a big fan of mint stuff Oreos or chocolate stuff Oreos or big stuff Oreos.

Not judging or complaining about the taste -- I just think some things should be left alone. Why do we need Oreo Cakesters? Why do they have to be Oreos? They even rolled out a "chocolate creme filling" type along with the standard white filling! At the same time! Now that irritates me a lot as well.

Anyway, I got some today. Just like Hest88 said, they have a texture like Hostess cakes. Flavor: eh. Filling: more body than a Twinkie, but not Oreo filling.

My kids won't touch them and Mr. FB sighs at little at what's been done to "his" brand. I'll leave them for the carpenters tomorrow, I think.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I heard Nabisco wanted to get into the snack cake market-not sure if its true or not.

Of course its all marketing- Oreo lovers will have to try it, just to see how similar it is to the cookie.

The taste is similar to a Hostess cupcake, but better IMHO.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman