• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Will Powder

Harry91

I've read that Will Powder (web site) is the place to by Sodium Alginate and Calcium Chloride. So about a month ago i placed an order, and the confirmation email said it would be 5-9 business days. I am not at about 20 business days and still no delivery. Does anyone know if this place recently shut down, or if delivery is always REALLY slow.

Harry

Great. :unsure: I just placed an order with Will Powder about 3 days ago... Guess that Beet Juice Caviar with Yuzu Foam isn't going to be on the menu for a bit.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

I've read that Will Powder (web site) is the place to by Sodium Alginate and Calcium Chloride. So about a month ago i placed an order, and the confirmation email said it would be 5-9 business days. I am not at about 20 business days and still no delivery. Does anyone know if this place recently shut down, or if delivery is always REALLY slow.

Harry

Have you tried contacting them by phone or email to inquire about the delay?

There's a phone number on the website -- 908.209.2657 -- why don't you call and let us know what's up? Will Goldfarb's restaurant, Room 4 Dessert, is currently closed. I don't know if that affects Willpowder or not.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I ordered some items from them in may. I STILL haven't got anything. Sent about 5 polite e-mails and 1 profanity laced tirade. This was the reply to my tirade:

" I apologize for the delay in responding - to answer your first question - yes these e-mails get read, but not until today. We've been rebuilding the WillPowder site and upgrading our ordering system and our e-mail has been down. We've been doing all we could to make sure all orders are received and I apologize if yours was missed. Your order was shipping by airmail to your Canada address over a week ago and the only possibility - an occasional one - is that it is held up through customs. We do all we can to clearly identify what we're shipping on the manifest but packages do sometimes get caught up in the customs process. I'll do everything I can to learn the status of yours and reply ASAP

Best,

Adam Rucinsky"

that e-mail was sent on July 9th and I haven't heard from them since. At this point I'm assuming I wont be getting anything. Hopefully they enjoy my money.

[Moderator's note: as indicated in this post, Adam Rucinsky is no longer affiliated with WillPowder. -- Chris Amirault.]

Hi, I'm the aforementioned Adam Rucinsky.

I apologize for both any delay in orders and in response to this forum.

With the closure of our original base of operations at Room4Dessert, I've taken over the operations of WillPowder for Chef Goldfarb and certainly if there's any delay I'd be to blame. It's obvious I'm sure that it's been a period of transition this summer, launching Picnick in the Battery, evolving Room4Dessert from its original incarnation, and restructuring WillPowder while not only keeping the company up and running but preparing it for a relaunch this September with over a dozen new products, faster and better shipping options and more and better features focusing on new recipes updated from the chef's classics that have been on the site for so long as well as video demonstrations of the techniques necessary to achieve them. At the same time, there should be no excuse in gaps in customer service, delays in shipping or unresolvable solutions with international customs, the last is something we've already and finally found a remedy, bringing our product to the best international kitchens. Last, in embracing chefs amateur and professional alike to make our product more accessible we will be offering discounts and coupons in a partnership with Google Checkout upon relaunch and throughout the year.

Just because we're expanding doesn't me we don't care and if anything it's just the opposite. We know what clients got us to where we are today and with what sort of service.

I was late to joining the Room4Dessert team, with Chef Goldfarb in the last months of our former location but I know why it was there with him I wanted to work.

Two years ago, I first joined eGullet after a great experience at Aureole inspired me to start capturing, discussing, deconstructing and better understanding the meals I was enjoying. It was at a time in my life that my work provided me with the time, the place and the resources to eat out most every night around town and it wasn't long before I looked back on the catalog of my posts and was inspired to start recreating some of the dishes that most influenced me. Well, some are more conventional than others and some at R4D I found none too easy. But at the time the bar was open for breakfast, and Will was always willing to explain a recipe, even dragging out and translating the El Bulli books from Spanish, making the desserts not just understandable but so much more achievable. And of course he had the supplies for sale necessary to make the recipe work. I've been behind that bar now and I've learned from practice and witness not only how to explain dishes and products as they were once explained to me, but also the difference it makes in helping the diner appreciate what it is they're enjoying.

With Room4Dessert right now being restructured, better than anyone I understand that it falls on us to provide the service I was so grateful to receive and so apt to offer both ways across the bar.

Believe me that we're working as hard as possible to not only individually process, package and deliver each order with the care you would receive if you walked into the restaurant, but to provide the same personal advice on how to best use our products in our recipes or in your own, to not challenge you with an arduous ordering process but to allow you to challenge us with your passion and interest in our products so that the possibilities of experimental and experiential cuisine can flourish beyond the way it's now so narrowly defined. We want to create a community of like minded chefs, at home, in schools and in restaurants, in forums like this, and we know the key to its development is better service and dialogue. It's why and how you'll see the WillPowder site and brand evolve in the season ahead.

So as is previously posted, you can for now personally reach me with any questions at 908 209 2657, at willpowder@gmail.com or by messaging me through eGullet so we can not only resolve any outstanding concerns you may need answered but also engage us in a query of any product or pursuit you want to explore.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

I just got my order from WillPowder Yesterday, :cool: about 8 days total turnaround ... and in a hand printed envelope , so Someone's definitely taking a hands on approach.

Looking forward to the expanded website , but I think Ill be able to squeak by with the Egullet Threads on Molecular Gastronomy in the meantime.

adamru, Any chance of getting a rundown of the new products WillPowder will be adding ?

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Absolutely, the new products should be up within the next week, but if you have a request we can supply something to you sooner:

Several new grades of Methylcellulose will be available as well as Glycerin Flakes, Soy Sauce Powder, Ultratex 8 & Ultratex 3 Modified Tapioca Starches, Versawhip, Honey Granules, Calcium Lactate Gluconate and Heavy Cream Powder.

Of course I'm happy to explain how to best utilize any of the products as well. I'd love to turn this forum around into better explaining what can be achieved with our supplies. Also, Chef Goldfarb will be back at ICE twice in the fall to better demonstrate the uses of all our products.

Edited by adamru (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like to note that I have disaffiliated myself from Will Goldfarb and WillPowder and that the above contact phone number for reaching WillPowder is no longer accurate. WillPowder can still be contacted through their website and the e-mail address willpowder@gmail.com and any questions or concerns can be directed toward the chef himself.

I began this position as part of my duties as bartender at Room4Dessert, packaging and shipping orders in my free time and after the restaurant closed, I was given the tasks of customer service, shipping and handling, inventory and ordering over the summer. I suppose my role was as point man and intern for the company, though it was basically a favor to help organize the chef's affairs in the interim while he could focus on new projects. Like those who worked in such capacities before me, I believed in the chef's vision and had concern for doing the best work as often as possible for his own welfare. However, this became more labor intensive than I expected at the wages provided at the end of each month, as my apartment became a makeshift warehouse, and it became frustrating having to pay for shipments myself with the expectation of reimbursement. I did the best work I could for as long as I could, but with the opening of his newest venue, from which I resigned as well just before its opening, I could not maintain the workload in the good faith I served. With all his inventory now returned to him, I'm sure it's his first priority to keep all orders up to date and in good standing. Also, as I haven't access to product with which to experiment myself, I'm sure his more direct responses to customer questions about usage in recipes will be more encouraging and effective.

And while I made above posts as part of my job - except to you Emma, you really are the good twin - I'm grateful now that my work with the restaurant, the chef, and the company has come to pass, I can be a more active and honest member of the eGullet community sitting before the dining tables and desktops I feel most comfortable.

As for a below user's suggestion of Terraspice as a source for the products, I can assure you they'd be of the exact same quality of WillPowder should anyone be looking for another option.

If you have ordered from WillPowder and have not received your order, I am confident I have shipped all orders through 8/16. I'm sure if you've ordered after that date and not yet received your order, he would be grateful to be aware of such an instance so as not to be double-shipping orders.

Edited by adamru (log)

This is the best place in my opinion to buy these types of ingredients. You have to call them to place an order but at least you get to talk to a live person, and they have everything for modern cuisine. I'm not sure of their policy for orders to the west coast. I used them a bit on the east coast and I know that they send mail orders through out the midwest. They are located in northern Indiana, near Chicago.

www.terraspicecompany.com

thank you for all the input

you can personally email me at goldfarb.will@gmail.com

we have a lot of exciting developments

and really appreciate the feedback which helps us serve you better

i welcome your comments and concerns and value the collective community which i have sorely missed during a remarkably turbulent past few months

thank you

will goldfarb

in addition

i am happy to provide my personal cellphone for any interested parties

and can assure you that the thousands of satisfied customers are enjoying their products at this very moment

your satisfaction is our only concern

and providing flawless service is my personal mission

warmest regards

will goldfarb

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed them over 5 weeks ago to say had problems getting into the site Willpowder, 2 weeks later got an email saying they would get back to me 3- 4weeks later still nothing.

Guess i will just buy a bigger container it works out allot cheaper in the long i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been dealing personally with all of our customers for the past several weeks

and to the best of my understanding

any outstanding issues have been resolved

moving forward, i have learned my lesson, and will be taking an even more active role in making sure that everyone is a satisfied customer

i personally apologize to anyone who has been disappointed with their service experience, and can assure you that several drastic steps were taken to correct this lack of superior customer experience

i appreciate your feedback;

without it

i would not be able to help our many customers from around the world

please feel free to contact me directly

(all of my relevant information is in the previous thread;

but i will reenter

goldfarb.will@gmail.com

you will also be able to find willpowder in select retail stores

more to follow

thank you

wg