• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poughkeepsie

markymark

I'll be spending time in Poughkeepsie over the next 4 years. Other than the CIA restaurants, what recommendations do you have within a 30 minute radius? Looking for the whole range-cheap ethnic to higher-end restaurants. Also, a older grad remembers a bakery that sold wonderful fruit pies on the way up there--any ideas?

I grew up in Poughkeepsie (now live in New Orleans) but I visit often as my family all still live there.

I have a few favorites that I like to go to when I venture back to visit.

My favorite deli of all time is Rossi's located at 45 South Clover St.. There are tons of deli's in Poughkeepsies, this is the best.

One of my best friends family owns a great pizza place called Ronzoni Pizzeria. It's located up in Hyde Park. Probably 15-20 min. from Vassar.

Other good pizza is Gino's on Main Street. And Sal's Little Italy on Parker. All small family owned.

A must is La Deliziosa Pastry Shop at 10 Mount Carmel Pl. (about 10 min. from Vassar) We've been going there since I can remember for fresh pastries and bread. They are the most authentic old italian bakery that I have every been to and so good.

The Palace Diner on Washington (about 5-10 minutes from Vassar) has very decent diner food and open 24/7 for late night eats.

As for fine dining. Just across the river is the Ship's Latern Inn. Great food and great atmosphere. It's been run by the same family forever and is very consistent and makes for a great evening.

Take a day trip to Millbrook then up to Amenia. It's a great drive in the fall when the leaves are changing. There are some nice places in the small town of Millbrook and if you make it up to Amenia, look up Cascade Vineyards (www.cascademt.com). It's a small batch vineyard in the middle of nowhere up this little unpaved drive. I'm not sure if the chef is the same, but they had a awesome food and a great little patio outside to eat lunch on and really good crisp whites aged in SS vats.

There's a lot of great food in the area. There are 2 very good Vietnamese restaurants right off of main street, Le Pavilion is excellent, and just across the river, the Would Bar and Grill is phenomenal.

Anything specific you're looking for?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Rhinebeck is within that distance. It is a nice place to visit and has some good restaurants, including Petit Bistro, Terrapin, and Gigi Trattoria. This link has some other good options and reviews of those places.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I went to college in Po-town, and basically second all of APPS411's recommendations. Poughkeepsie has a significant population of Italians for a town of its size, so there is definitely some great food to be had.

I totally second Rossi's deli--definitely worth going out of your way for. One of the best Italian delis I've ever had the pleasure of eating at, and I live in NYC now.

Also see if Jelly Belly Deli still exists. Great sandwich shop.

MUST check out Mole Mole, just a couple blocks from Vassar. Surprisingly authentic Mexican food, redone with slightly lighter ingredients.

The CIA restaurants are good, but on short notice you can always stop by the Apple Pie Bakery for coffee & pie.

Milanese restaurant on Main Street--good for dinner.

Hyde Park Brewery in Hyde Park--good for dinner as well, plus some microbrews.

Edited by marvelous_marvin (log)

Do not miss the Artist's Palate. 307 Main Street, Poughkeepise. I went there for the first time about two months ago, and now go back every couple of weeks. It's pretty new.

Also, The CIA has inexpensive dinner specials during the week in the winter. Really reasonable, and you can book online.