• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ensenada/Marios Restaurant

Goatjunky

I just got back from Ensenada today and am hoping for some help locating some information about a restaurant we ate at last night. It was called Marios, and was located well south of downtown Ensenada near a place called Corona Beach. It was right down the street from the Hotel Villa Real if that helps anyone. Our dinner was fantastic and we ate quite a few unusual dishes that I was hoping to attempt to recreate. Well this morning another person in our group mentioned that they thought the chef there had published a cookbook. Of course we doesnt know the authors name or book title, so of course I came here to pick a few brains.

Thanks!

If Corona Beach is in front of the Corona Hotel then i know the place you are talking about.

The restaurant used to be called Pancho's.....always good food and service.

The breakfasts there are killer. They serve a huevos rancheros with a salsa de chorizo that is worth a trip to Ensenada all by itself. Let me check with friends and see who is the chef these days. It has been two years since Ive been to the then Panchos.

what wre the dishes that you ate that you want to recreate???

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

Thanks for checking into it for me. I ordered the chicken special of that night, and though our waiter spoke good english I wasnt able to get much of an idea what to expect other than balsamic vinegar. I just took a chance and ordered it and was so happy. It was chicken breast with balsamic vinegar reduction on it, that might have had some sort of chili in it and I am almost positive that it had ground peanuts in it. Something was slightly lightening the color and thickening the sauce. One of my friends ordered a carne asada plate that came with an unusual salsa or pickled vegetable that she jealously guarded. I was only able to get one tiny bite, and she was too far away for me to examine it well. It was served cold, just a nice spoonful of it beside her meat. Appeared to have some sort of leafy green that had been cooked down, and definately white onion which I think had been pickled. It was very unusual and I was intrigued enough to want to know what it was and to want a better taste of that. Everything was great, if it was the same place I only wish we could have gone there again for breakfast. If it helps, the entire outside is now painted green and is near Estero Beach Resort and next to The Beach House Hotel also.