• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

houston farmer's markets

firedogut

Here ya go, Houston's Organic Farmers Markets... of these, I've only been to the first one, in the Heights on Saturday. Surprisingly nice.

(from an article at http://www.bayoucityoutdoors.com/ClubPorta...menuoptID=11318 )

Houston’s Farmers Market

www.houstonfarmersmarket.org

Saturday Market - 8am to noon:

Located behind Onion Creek Coffee House

3106 White Oak (between Studewood and Heights Blvd.)

Tuesday Market - 4pm to 7pm:

south side of Rice Stadium, entrance #9, off of University Blvd

www.rice.edu/maps/maps.html

Midtown Farmers Market

www.tafia.com/mfm.html

Saturdays - 8am until Noon

Located at Monica Pope's t'afia, 3701 Travis Street

Bayou City Farmers Market

www.urbanharvest.org

Wednesday Market - 4pm-7pm

Saturday Market - 8am-noon

Located just north of the intersection of Richmond and Eastside, behind office building. (Eastside has a stoplight and it's in between Kirby and Buffalo Speedway)

Central City Co-Op

www.centralcityco-op.org

Close to downtown, midtown, Montrose and all over Houston

2115 Taft St (indoors) (Between Westheimer and West Gray, East of Montrose)

Every Wednesday 9 am to 6:30 pm

Every Saturday 9 am to 2 pm

Katy Farmers Market

Saturdays - 8am until Noon

Crosspoint Community Church

700 Westgreen, Katy, TX 77450 (corner of Kingsland & Westgreen)

The Woodlands' Farmers Market at Market Street

www.town- center.com/detail.asp? iEve=406&iType=918

Saturdays, May-September, 8am-11am

Located across the street from The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.

Bay-Best Farmers Market

www.bay-fest.com/

Saturdays (except holiday weekends)

12:00 noon - 4:00 pm

Hardesty Avenue & 5th Street in Old Seabrook

Fresh Foods Market at Armand Bayou Nature Center

www.abnc.org

Alternating Saturdays from 11:00am-2:00pm

8500 Bay Area Blvd, Pasadena, Texas

I love the market at t'afia for prepared foods and monica breakfast items, but there's really not much in the way of fresh produce--maybe two or three stands outside.

The Heights market is fun, lots of buzz and some nice people, but again, not a whole lot of stuff--five or six vendors the last time I was there.

I've finally settled on the Bayou City market--it's really encouraging to see how much it's grown in the last year or so. Three or four produce stalls, a couple of meat vendors, two truly wonderful bread/pastry guys, a Katz coffee truck, and the lady who makes--by her own description--"the best pimento cheese in Houston." They usually have some music, too . . . and oh, a guy who sharpens your knives while you shop.

We try and get there as early as possible, sit down with a cup of coffee from Katz and a pain au chocolat and decide that Life in Houston--even in August :rolleyes:--is Good.

Susan

when is the knife sharpening guy there (wednesday AND saturdays?) and how much per knife?

thanks,

tatiana

I love the market at t'afia for prepared foods and monica breakfast items, but there's really not much in the way of fresh produce--maybe two or three stands outside.

The Heights market is fun, lots of buzz and some nice people, but again, not a whole lot of stuff--five or six vendors the last time I was there.

I've finally settled on the Bayou City market--it's really encouraging to see how much it's grown in the last year or so.  Three or four produce stalls, a couple of meat vendors, two truly wonderful bread/pastry guys, a Katz coffee truck, and the lady who makes--by her own description--"the best pimento cheese in Houston."  They usually have some music, too  . . . and oh, a guy who sharpens your knives while you shop.

We try and get there as early as possible, sit down with a cup of coffee from Katz and a pain au chocolat and decide that Life in Houston--even in August :rolleyes:--is Good.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

knives are sharpened at the market on most saturdays (but not this saturday the 22nd) with a minimum charge of $4.20 per knife, .75 c per blade inch.

for further pricing see: http://www.2dull4you.com/10.html

i'm going to try it out next week for my knives.

when is the knife sharpening guy there (wednesday AND saturdays?) and how much per knife?

thanks,

tatiana

The market sends out a newsletter each week with a list of vendors and when they'll be there--here's a link

http://www.urbanharvest.org/programs/market/enewsletter.html

I don't know what he charges for sharpening, sorry.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got my knives sharpened at the Bayou Farmers Market (2dull4you) with both excellent and poor results.

Sharpening a cleaver, two 8-inch, and one 10-inch chef's knives cost $25, which in my experience is excellent value given how quickly they were sharpened. The knives were sharpened enough to cut paper smoothly, and cut very small shreds of paper.

However, my once serrated knife is no longer serrated. It is sharp though (but not as much as the other knives). I should have known better.

Edited by tatiana (log)