• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparks snub in Wine Spectator

mikeycook

The thread on steakhouses made me think of a question I've had for a couple of weeks.

I reviewing the list of award winners in the latest Wine Spectator restaurant issue and noticed that Sparks was conspicuously absent. I know Sparks was a Grand Award winner for a number of years, but it does not appear in the issue at all. I looked on the web site to see if it was an omission from the print issue only and couldn't find it there either.

Does anyone know what happened to their WS award?

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

they didnt want to pay for it or forgot to.

Is that true? Is that how the awards work? I am surprised because Sparks has been a Grand Award winner every year since 1981. Why would they suddenly not want the award?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Its GOT to be that either they didn't re-apply or they forgot. You pay the money and submit the wine list, and that's all that's required to get the Award. There's actually a thread now on the WineSpectator forum board about it....a restauranteur has taken WS to task for no visits; just pay the fee and submit the list for review. They could certainly have the award if they wanted it.