• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minneapolis Steakhouses

Lisa1349

We'll be in town this week for a wedding. We need to host the groom and a friend for dinner. Being so close to beef capital U.S.A we are looking for a great steakhouse. I've found Murray's and Fire Lake Restaurant. Any suggestions or recommendations? I looked at Erte but they only have 2 or 3 beef options. Thanks kindly! We'll be in the uptown and downtown areas.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

You can't go wrong with Murrays! :wink:

Years ago, when Nick still ran it, I'd have sent you over to St Paul to Mancini's to see a Master Restauranteur ply his craft.

Edited by srhcb (log)

We'll be in town this week for a wedding. We need to host the groom and a friend for dinner. Being so close to beef capital U.S.A we are looking for a great steakhouse. I've found Murray's and Fire Lake Restaurant. Any suggestions or recommendations? I looked at Erte but they only have 2 or 3 beef options. Thanks kindly! We'll be in the uptown and downtown areas.

Perhaps the most well known is Manny's Steakhouse, located in the Hyatt Regency: http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/

It's been a number of years since I've eaten there. I recall I had a pretty good meal, and not surprisingly, it was pricey. I remember they had a pretty good wine list too. It follows the typical ala carte menu approach used by Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. with the same sorts of side dishes.

If my enthusiasm seems a bit tempered, it's not because it isn't a solid restaurant. It is. It's just that I find steakhouses are pretty much the same everywhere you go: good beef, ho-hum sides and not a terribly exciting menu.

Thanks for the recs and I'll report back. The bride and groom have been to Mancini's and I've heard many tales about it. I'll champion Manny's and Murray's to them.

Vicious Wadd: I agree that steakhouse fare isn't exactly haute cuisine, but the groom is a meat and potatoes guy and as the chef of the family (me) won't be attending pre-bachelor party dinner, fine dining might be a little lost. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad as long as it's what he wants, right?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Manny's, definitely.

Perhaps the most well known is Manny's Steakhouse, located in the Hyatt Regency: http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/

It's been a number of years since I've eaten there. I recall I had a pretty good meal, and not surprisingly, it was pricey. I remember they had a pretty good wine list too. It follows the typical ala carte menu approach used by Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. with the same sorts of side dishes.

If my enthusiasm seems a bit tempered, it's not because it isn't a solid restaurant. It is. It's just that I find steakhouses are pretty much the same everywhere you go: good beef, ho-hum sides and not a terribly exciting menu.

True, which is making me want to try Stripsteak in Vegas, it looks like they have fantastic sides! http://www.michaelmina.net/stripsteak/menus.html

Hopefully other steak places will follow suit!

Lisa,

It's too bad their website lags behind their monthly magazine because Andrew Zimmern just did a comprehensive review of MSP steakhouses in last month's Minneapolis/St. Paul magazine. I thought it was an excellent roundup of everything from high-end to budget to old-school MSP institutions.

To summarize, his top preference was Mortons. Manny's was close behind. My experience would also put those two on top, although I like the atmosphere and service of Manny's better. Though more expensive than the others in town, Manny's is also the place to go if you really want to go over the top (i.e. $100 3 lb. lobster tails, etc.).

Frankly, I've never been impressed with the steaks at Murray's. The service and experience are wonderful though. Same with Mancini's over in St. Paul.

One other consideration if want to think outside the box. MSP just got a location of Fogo de Chao, a high-end Brazilian "churrascaria" steakhouse. Carnivore heaven.

You can get a feel for each place on the web:

www.mortons.com

www.mannyssteakhouse.com

www.murraysrestaurant.com

www.mancinis.com

www.fogodechao.com

Probably too late, but for next time or for someone else...

Manny's may not be a chain per se, but it is part of the Parasole family of restaurants. So it's not entirely independent. That's nitpicking, I know. The food is wonderful.

Mancini's Char House in St. Paul is also very good. The founder died recently, but the place will live on.

For something more neighborhood-ish, I suggest Erte.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! As the week progressed the bachelor party got parlayed into a mini rehearsal dinner with the whole family at Brit's Pub. (Poor groom)The night before we sipped some late night drinks watching lawn bowling also at Brit's Pub. Food there mediocre, but great people watching and drinking. We also made it to The Local where I was very impressed with the food. After The Local we listened to some late night funk at the Dakota Jazz Club.

We did a lot of driving around town, so I passed by most of the recommendations. The bachelorette party was at Chino Latino. A riotous good time for a bunch of 20/30 something cats looking to relax. The lo mein there was particularly good.

The reception was at the skyview room in The Walker Art Center. Wonderful food by Wolfgang Puck's catering branch. Rarely have I been served hors d' oeuvres that are hot when they are supposed to be.

I was very impressed with the city overall. Us former New Yorkers forget there's life to the left of the big apple. The skyway is perfect and the light rail from the airport very easy to maneuver. I hope to eat at more places around town next time.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky